Not sure homuch to eat

ecshumway
on 10/6/11 12:08 am - NY
I am 6 weeks post op, I am dealing with an ulcer right now. One thing that has me confused from the start is how much to eat.
It was easy when I was on liquids and even pureed food. But now I don't know how much I should have. I try to listen to my stomach, but even that doesn't help.
Can some of you tell me samples of what and how much you eat for meals? I'd appreciate any help/suggestions.

Dave Chambers
on 10/6/11 12:29 am - Mira Loma, CA
Each surgeon has their own specific protocol, I know my surgeon had 2 oz as a "meal" for the first several months on foods.  Eat protein first. It won't be much at 2 oz, and add a Tsp of veggies . Don't fill up with high carb items like bread sticks, etc. You'll likely be eating at home a lot for the first few months. Once you get past 5 months or so, many post ops begin to eat a larger meal, around 4 oz.  Get disposable measuring cups from Smart and Final or other food supply outlets.  I used 1 oz cups (2 of them), but 2 oz cups are also available now. Eat slow, chew well and DON'T drink fluids with your meal. Drink as much water as you comfortably can around 25-30 minutes prior to your meal. This will help you feel less thirst while eating.  If you do go to a restuarant in coming months--place alloted food amounts on plate and IMMEDIATELY place any remaining foods in a "leftover box" to take home.  Eating on a saucer plate vs a standard plate may help you feel less deprived with smaller portions of foods. Some chose to eat with a baby spoon or baby fork to make sure they don't eat too much at one time.  This takes practice.  You may have to modify your meal time expereince.  Watching TV, talking on the phone, discussions with family, telephone calls, etc. can "take your mind off of eating", causing you to eat too fast, not chew well, drink with meals, etc.  Some post ops find that they have to eat by themselves the first month or so post op. This way then can concentrate on new eating practices.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Barbara C.
on 10/6/11 12:44 am, edited 10/6/11 12:44 am - Raleigh, NC

Each of our Dr's use different size pouches and then we heal at different rates, so it's a little difficult to say just how much you should be eating. One thing that you can do, is try the pouch test. Here is a link to how to do a pouch size test: http://obesitysurgery-info.com/pouch-size.htm

It can take months before all of the nerves heal and send you the appropriate signals letting you know when you are full.

You should also consider contacting the registered dietician with your program. They may know the size pouch that your Dr generally creates and may be able to help you with determining volume.

Wishing you all the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Jacobsmama08
on 10/6/11 12:47 am - Morgan Hill, CA
All of what he said... great advice. Most important, while you're eating, make THAT what you're doing... pay attention, eat slowly, chew A LOT, and pay attention!!! And believe me, if you over eat you're pouch will tell you and you wont do it again (often) LOL .

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

missjann
on 10/6/11 4:56 am

I would suggest you contact your NUT or surgeon, but given that, you have to
listen to your pouch and your body. I think I was doing 4 oz. at a time for
several months, then found that I was running out of energy an hour after
eating, getting weak etc. so I increased to 6 oz and now eat about a cup of
food at a time (9 mos). That's general however. My protein drink in the morning
is about 16 oz. and I can eat quite a bit more salad than 1 cup. I watch for
full cues (hiccuping for me) and hungry cues as I still don't really get hungry
much. But when I run completely out of steam and feel weak, it's a sure bet
that it's been 4-5 hours since I ate.  Good luck!

Jan