Malabsorption with RNY?

PandaMonium
on 10/6/11 11:34 am
 I am considering the Roux en Y, and have been researching the procedure. I am curious what YOUR surgeon told you about the RNY and malabsorption. Do you have studies or info to show that there IS malabsorption?  If your surgeon DID tell you that there is in malabsorption, what percentage did he quote to you?

I see people mentioning it, yet I am unable to find ANY medical/scientific studies/data to back it up. I am finding the OPPOSITE, in fact

A surgeon that I met with told me that there really is no malabsorption with the proximal RNY that is being performed.  (there is with the distal RNY) Any studies I have seen online tell me that there really is no malabsorption, or that there is a little (very little), but it ends in a few weeks after the gut has healed.  (There is nutrient malabsorption, but not caloric.)

Talk to me!

_Donna_
on 10/6/11 11:58 am
Do more research, your information is way off.

RNY 5-5-2011

PandaMonium
on 10/6/11 12:03 pm
 here is one study i found. Can you please give me links with more information?
http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/90/1/591.full
Judy M.
on 10/6/11 12:07 pm
I was told that the mal-absorbtion quotient is really not a imoortant factor in rny being a meaningful tool in weight reduction.  More signifigant factors are the reduction og ghrellin, the increase in the resting rate of calorie expenditure and lastly the restriction due to the small sizr of the stomach. Look up gastric bypass surgery in wikipedia  there is some up to date info there.

PandaMonium
on 10/6/11 12:13 pm
 Hey msnomer....This is basically what the surgeon told me also.  Wiki scares me cuz virtually anyone with an email address can add info there, or at least that is the way it used to be. 
Gina1013
on 10/6/11 12:08 pm - Canton, OH
 I am having RNY in a few days and have been doing some research too....
I have also been seeing that the malabsorption that was thought to be there is not. 
My surgeon told me that the malabsorption was minimal at best...It is mostly the restriction that causes the weight loss.....
Here is a Harvard study that someone posted....
http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v17/n10/full/oby2009207a.h tml

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

Lisa R.
on 10/6/11 12:11 pm - CA
 First, cute Avatar!  Kiss pandas....classic!

I have never looked at studies but my doctor did say there was malabsorbtion.  He said about 25% of the caloric intake each day.

If the info you found is correct, what reason does the study give for the dramatic and quick loss of weight in RNY patients in the first 6 months after surgery?  Much more weight is lost with RNY patients over band or sleeve; both of which do not have malabsorbtion.  I just wonder, because I guess I was one of those people that didn't (doesn't) care HOW it works, just very happy that it DID work.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
PandaMonium
on 10/6/11 12:16 pm
 Thanks Lisa. 
If you read msnomer's post, that is pretty much how the surgeon I met with explained it to me
Lisa R.
on 10/6/11 12:24 pm - CA
 Well, I think that is good news really.  Everyone here has said that malabsorbtion goes away in time anyway.  So does this caloric rate stay the same forever, or does our body re-ajust to it eventually? 

I guess my question is, why do some people gain weight back.? I also thought it was because people did not adjust their eating habits and when the malabsorbtion went away they regained.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Gina1013
on 10/6/11 12:20 pm, edited 10/6/11 12:21 pm - Canton, OH
 Here is a thread that I found interesting regarding the malabsorption (or lack of) with RNY...
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4456343/quotControvers ial-Malabsorption-has-NOTHING-to-do-with-RNY/#36856360

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413