help - 6 months out

PriscillaY
on 10/8/11 12:57 pm - Highland Falls, NY
 well, i thought i was doing well.

six months out, 130lbs down and i hit a wall. not only am i losing at a much much MUCH slower rate but i have totally fallen off of the wagon. i stopped going to the gym, i started picking and eating bad things even in moderation and worst of all these last few days i feel like my appetite has grown 10 fold. i don't know how it happened but the last 2 days i have been eating A LOT. 

last night for dinner i ate 7 pieces of california roll sushi (usually i stop at 3 or 4) and 5 hours later i had about 6 oz of meatload which is ALOT. i just was so hungry.... today i ate a 6 inch turkey breast sub from subway (only one side of the bread, lettuce, light mayo and tomato) and for dinner the other half (again only one side of the bread). then later this evening i picked on three small breaded pieces of chicken.. i'm ashamed. 

why am i so hungry? the worst is that i have put off my six month followup so my doctor doesn't know i stopped my vitamins and blood test me. 

has this happened to anyone? i'm crying i'm so scared. i can't go back to being 400lbs. i went from 375 to 245 and i'm just terrified. i don't know how to get back on the wagon and i have no one to turn to. 

advice?

highest weight: 387 starting weight: 375 current weight: 223 goal weight: 175    
Kathy M.
on 10/8/11 1:08 pm - summershade, KY

please don't stop your vitamins that is not good and go back to basic's is what I have read on here do what your doctor has order and then stop I'm almosted 2 months out so I hope this helps new to this

Kathy M

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 1:08 pm - Boston, MA
 Don't be ashamed.. the only person you are hurting by not going to the doctor is yourself. The only person you are hurting by not taking your vitamins is yourself.   Your doctor and staff are there to help you stay on track this is the time you need to see them the most.  Why did you stop taking your vitamins? You can correct that right now by getting up and going and taking them.  The longer you are off them the lower your levels will get reverse that right now and just go take them.  You had the surgery to be healthy not taking your vitamins is just pointless so go do it, it's the easiest part of this entire journey.. YOU CAN DO IT!

I'm 6 months out too.. and my weight loss has slowed to a crawl.. it's so frustrating but a stall at 6 months is normal.  I just went to my 6 month check up and the surgeon said there is no way I can continue to lose weight at such a rapid pace .. it's going to slow down but if I stay on plan it will come off.  I have hungry days where I eat a ton and other days like yesterday where I only eat 1/2 the amount I'm supposed to.. that's normal but if it keeps happening you have to dial it back and only eat what's on your plan.  Skip the bread on the sub and add another piece of meat it might fill you up longer.

You are doing amazing.. you can do this, don't let yourself down.

A. C
on 10/8/11 1:10 pm
i haven't had my surgery yet so i can't relate to that part, but i wanted to tell you you're not alone, and to let you know that i relate to a lot of your fears (i'm just projecting them into the future so far lol)

why did you stop taking your vitamins, or was that just part of falling off the wagon?

remember you're not alone, and hang in there, i'm sure some vets will answer you with better advice than i have :)
((((hugs)))
PriscillaY
on 10/8/11 1:13 pm - Highland Falls, NY
 thanks guys. i think the vitamins thing was just... i can't even explain it. it mostly had to do with the gallbladder and pepcid meds i was on. the calcium was also making me very constipated and it was an awful and painful experience so i slowly shyed away from the vitamins. 

i have calcium, d3, b-12, a multi and iron. should i jump right back into taking all of them?

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 1:27 pm - Boston, MA
 Yes just start taking them like you were before.  I was having really awful constipation.. really awful.. then a few weeks ago I started taking a probiotic and I have gone without incident ever since (knock wood), it's amazing!!  Best $8 I have ever spent in my life!
poet_kelly
on 10/8/11 1:20 pm - OH
Why did you stop taking your vitamins? 

OK, here is what you need to do:

1.  Call your doctor first thing Monday morning and make an appt.  If there is a dietician you can see at your surgeon's office, make an appt for that, too.

2.  Start your vitamins tomorrow morning.

3.  Make a food plan for the next few days.  Write down on a sheet of paper what you are going to eat for each meal and snack.  If you're not too tired, you can do it right now.  Write down what you will eat and how much.  If you need to buy some stuff for your meal plan, you can go to the grocery store tomorrow.  Be realistic on your meal plan - don't write down that you are going to eat 1/4 cup of yogurt for lunch and not eat anything else until dinner.  That's not enough food and you'll be hungry and won't be able to stick to it.  So pick healthy stuff to eat, but stuff you like, and reasonable portions.

4.  Is there a support group you can go to?  If there is, start going.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PriscillaY
on 10/8/11 1:33 pm - Highland Falls, NY
 i was thinking of doing a protein shake diet like pre surgery. 2 meals a day as a protein shake to get my butt back in gear. i feel like the more drastic the more chance i have of getting back to basics.

there is a support group but it only meets once a month and i missed the meeting last week :( bleh.

Ladytazz
on 10/8/11 1:32 pm
First, buy some Miralax and take a dose everyday.  That should help the constipation so you won't have to worry about the calcium.  If it works for you, have your doctor write you a prescription so your insurance can help with the cost.
Second, you are right on schedule as far as weight loss slowing and hunger returning.  Perfectly normal, although very discouraging.
May I make a suggestion?  I tell this to everyone who wants to lose their excess weight.  Eliminate all refined carbs, at least in the losing phase.  You don't have a real long weight loss window, 2 years at the most.  You can still lose weight after that, of course, but it is that much harder.  Eating refined carbs can trigger hunger in a lot of people.  A lot of people can and do eat them in moderation but usually after they lose all the weight they want to lose.  Give yourself every advantage.  By refined carbs I mean things with sugar and flour mainly, white stuff.  I have to avoid all bread, even whole grain, because bread is my top trigger food and I can't stop once I start.  I also eat gluten free since it seems like even a little wheat gets me craving more.
It takes a little while to decarb so give yourself a few weeks or a month and see if your weight loss doesn't pick up and the hunger decreases.  If it doesn't help you haven't lost anything and you can always go back.
Good luck to you.
And see your surgeon.  He will be so pleased with your weight loss, I am sure.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

PriscillaY
on 10/8/11 1:42 pm - Highland Falls, NY
 thank you for this. i didn't think about the prescription lowering the cost of the miralax. and also, i have been eating carbs all along with the idea in mind that if i had stopped - once i would start eating them again i'd put on a lot f weight from not having them for so long. but your explanation does make a good amount of sense. the only thing i hate is that pasta is one of the things that i can eat without any stomach pain or nausea so to eliminate it would suck but it sounds worth it. thanks for your insight. so helpful.