help - 6 months out

Samantha L.
on 10/8/11 1:41 pm - Petaluma, CA
 I agree with Kelly.. find support.

Also, try to remember how you felt when you had this surgery in the first place.  Reread the literature your doctor gave you pre-op (remember when you couldn't get enough of this stuff?)  Go back over the post-op diet.  Get back on the wagon by getting back to basics!  Start reading and posting in the forums here or where ever you feel most comfortable. 
  I got depressed a few months after surgery and stopped taking all of my vitamins and ate some things I shouldn't have.  Coming back to the forums helped immensely.. it kept me motivated. (Now I am here every day to keep myself on track).   Also, it helped my motivation to watch youtube videos of other people's WLS journeys.  Seeing several months of progress in "fast motion" was inspiring!  Or even just look at before/after pictures.  Look at YOUR before/now pictures.   Read up on what happens if you continue on the road you are on now.  What can happen if you don't take your vitamins.  It will scare the hell out of you.  TAKE THEM!  I know that I became a vitamin NAZI after I read some of the things that can happen.  It didn't take long before I felt better, my color improved, my hair started growing in thicker (probably more due to the increase in the protein that I hadn't been getting enough of).  
  Track your food.  I use the tracker here on OH, but there are others, if you prefer.  I know that when I tracked my husband's intake for a day, he was SHOCKED at what he was taking in.  It only took one day of tracking to make him pay more attention to what he put in his mouth.  
  It is NOT too late to fix this.  You CAN do it.  Putting yourself out there by posting was a good start, and I applaud you for it.  
  Good luck!

PriscillaY
on 10/8/11 1:44 pm - Highland Falls, NY
 thank you so much. it is nice to be back on the forum. one of my worst new habits is snacking. i got a promotion at work. its in retail so i moved from the sales floor to human resources and everyone eats eats eats back there. its so hard to avoid snacking during the day and thats where all of those extra bites and calories here and there come in. i will start keeping track once again. luckily i have a food tracker on my iphone . very good idea, thanks!

highest weight: 387 starting weight: 375 current weight: 223 goal weight: 175    
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 1:51 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Keep "legal" snacks handy at your desk:  turkey jerky, single serving packs of cashews or almonds,
protein bars with at least 10 grams of protein, single servings of the Syntrax Nectar Lemon Tea protein powder.  These will help keep you from nibbling on the wrong things.

I used to keep a ziplock baggie of at least two servings of the Lemon Tea for my afternoon break--
it really helped to keep me away from the snack machine in the break room!!

Plan your snacks, have what you need on hand.  You can do this!!

Good luck!
dasie
on 10/8/11 11:23 pm
The incorrect carbs will catapult my hunger quickly, if I am not careful.  For me that meant no bread, potatoes, rice, pasta,sugar, processed foods ever-  if at all possible.  I only rarely touched them my first year during that prime losing phase.  I did not have bread of any sort except once the first year out, and it made me sick.  My surgeon made it very clear not to squander the first year (especially the first 6 months) of prime losing opportunity.  You have to change gears today.  No one can do it for you.  The reality check for me at 14 months was when the scale popped up 6 pounds after falling off the wagon.  I saw first hand this truly is a for the rest ofour  lives life style.  Go back to doing what you know you must do.  By the way...congratulations on your weight loss.  You have done phenomenally well.

christinalee
on 10/8/11 11:44 pm - At Home in, NH
Here's just a bit of reality therapy, but you've come way too far to not know what you need to do. Six months, minus 130 pounds -- that's such a distance and journey to have taken! Look back at the lessons you've learned and the journey you've taken. You're a smart lady. Stop being ashamed. Shame is &^$#@! useless emotion.

You asked how do I get back on the wagon...you just do it! You get up, shake the negativity and the apprehension from your carb-filled brain and you give yourself a 'talking to' and you just do it.

Everyone's given you some really great advice, which is what you wanted, right? So make a plan, buy the food to support the plan (use that promotion money on good food!), throw out the crap you've been eating/snacking/grazing on, get the vitamins you need (again that promotion money is pretty dang handy isn't it?), make that 6 month appointment, lose the shame, and just do it.

Look Priscilla, you've lost 130 pounds in 6 months. You rock! Truly you do! That's so freakin' awesome! And two or even 10 days of crappy eating won't make you deviate from your long term goals unless you let it. I don't believe that is what you want.

As for the vitamins, there are just no excuses -- none! Take them, just do it. Constiptation, upset stomach, wah, wah, wah. Just take them; just do it! Do I need to say it again? Just do it! Being at goal and without health is NOT what you want or what anyone wants, right? So do what you know is right, regardless of the reasons we so artfully use. Just do it!

So my advice is put on your smaller (WooHoo!), big girl panties and deal; just do it. I know you can, we all believe you can, so fake it if you don't think you can until you actually believe you can too. It's hokey, but the saying goes 'the journey of 1,000 miles begins with just one step.' So just do it!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
Recent Topics