Pouchless RnY? (Closest to micropouch?)

Amber L.
on 10/10/11 9:49 pm, edited 10/10/11 11:49 pm - Sweden
So, I was asking my surgeon the list of usuals and when I asked him how big the pouch would be, he said, "As tiny as I can make it.". I asked how much it would hold and he said, "Nothing.". Apparently the Swedes decided that the pouch causes nothing but trouble and it's just better to for the upper part the intestine to act as the stomach. I guess basically they TRULY bypass the stomach.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I only mentioned micropouch because it seems like it's the closest thing to what he was describing, but he said there would no pouch at all, fewer chances of food getting stuck and less chance of food trying to come back up.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

Ladytazz
on 10/11/11 1:24 am
I have to tell you I have never heard of this but just off the top of my head I don't think it sounds that good of an idea.
Many people who fail do so because their stoma stretches out, allowing food to leave the pouch and enter the intestines too soon.  They say it makes the intestines act like a big stomach and leaves them hungry all the time.  I don't see what the difference would be with this.  How are you going to feel satisfied if your intestines (which are like 20 feet) can hold all that food?
I would definitely ask about statistics and research about this.  How many patients have had this done, how long and what is their success rate?  Since the RNY isn't very malabsorptive I don't see the benefit in this.  Maybe I am missing something but I would want a pouch (or stomach) for the food to fill up so I could feel satisfied after eating.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Amber L.
on 10/11/11 2:18 am - Sweden
He said that patients feel very little, if any hunger with this procedure. I'm still digging up info on it. Everyone that I have met here is very happy with their surgeries.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

poet_kelly
on 10/11/11 2:23 am - OH
I have not heard of this, and I would want more information too.

would he connect the esophagus directly to the small intestine?  Would you be able to get a full feeling?  It's my understanding that when we have enough food in our pouch, the pouch is slightly stretched, which then signals our brain that we are full.  If there is no pouch, if the stomach is completely bypassed, would you never feel full?  I wouldn't like that.

What about food intolerances?  In the pouch, food mixes with what little stomach acid we have and the stomach churns it around, helping to break it up for digestion.  If you had no pouch, if food went directly into the small intestine, I assume it would be even more important to chew your food really well.  But is it likely that you would have more trouble with certain foods, like raw fruits and veggies?  Stuff that takes more work to digest?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RJ20175
on 12/15/17 5:50 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 01/17/00

Hi AMber, I just recently had this same surgery here in the US. It was to remove some damaged tissue caused by my previous Adjustable band, and severe Gerd. So I have a pouchless gastic bypass..

I would love to learn about the research you found. I can't find hardly anything on it either!

Thanks,

Reina

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 316 views
What's on your Monday Menu?