Starving! Not feeling full?

jezanee83
on 10/12/11 6:07 pm - TX
Howdy :)
I am 6 weeks post op from RNY.  I've lost almost 50 pounds.  But these last few days I have been SO hungry.  And when I drink my water with protein liquid in it, I don't get a satisfied or full feeling.  I have this underlying fear that the surgery isn't going to work (Even tho I've lost weight), or that they didn't really do the surgery.  I know it sounds crazy but is anyone else dealing with this? 

How do you deal w/ these hunger pains?

Price S.
on 10/12/11 9:17 pm - Mills River, NC
I imagine you are really dealing with head hunger, not real hunger.  Most aren't really hungry for a little while.

I never feel very full from protein drinks.  It is liquid and passes right through.  Greek yogurt does the same thing with me.

At 6 weeks, we were eating 5-6 meals a day, 1/4-1/2c each plus our protein suppliments.  If you do that, and get 20 or so oz of fluid inbetween each meal after waiting 30 min from eating, you will be eating or drinking all the time and should not be hungry.  Eating more solid foods and not drinking with or right after should help also.  Also lay off the carbs, they only make you want more.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jolimont
on 10/12/11 9:42 pm - Toulouse, France
 I think it means your body is healing well and ready to move on to solid food., small quantities of solid, home-made food. You don't want to take liquid calories for too long or pretty soon the protein shakes will be replaced by milk shakes and you'll sabotage yourself. Humans need to eat real food, just make sure it's the best quality food you can afford and make it yourself as often as possible. Puréed, of course, your tummy is still fragile, just like a baby!
jezanee83
on 10/12/11 10:32 pm - TX
I haven't been eating any carbs.  I pretty much only eat hard boiled eggs, and even that takes me like 45 minutes to eat so I only eat one a day.

I'm sure it's head hunger too.

And what food would I puree that would even taste good? lol

Frances S.
on 10/12/11 10:58 pm - Crystal Falls, MI
 Obviously every doctor's plan is different.. I'm puzzled why you're still eating puree/liquids at 6 weeks.  I was advanced to a "normal" diet at 6 weeks.  It sounds like you need to start eating more solid food.. this is going to stay in your pouch a lot longer than shakes.

flyingwoman
on 10/12/11 10:55 pm
Are you getting enough liquids? Thirst can easily mask itself as hunger, especially so early out.
jezanee83
on 10/12/11 11:08 pm - TX
I have been on liquids for so long because my I had a blockage from the surgery that carried on for awhile.
sumueulu
on 10/12/11 11:24 pm
It's possible that because you're not eating solids that's why you're hungry. It also could be head hunger. But I am 7 months post op and I have been hungry since day 1. Not all of us get the diminished appetite
jezanee83
on 10/12/11 11:27 pm - TX
Well I just ate some scrambled eggs and couldn't get them all down, so I guess that's what it is.  Just not eating solids :) Thanks ya'll.
poet_kelly
on 10/13/11 1:48 am - OH
Actually, I've heard a number of people say they kind of felt like maybe their doc didn't really do the surgery.  And being afraid that the surgery won't work isn't crazy.  We've all had so many experiences of dieitng and it not working, it makes sense we'd be afraid this experience would turn out the same.

Are you on a regular diet yet?  Or still on soft foods or what?  The best way to feel full is to eat solid protein (but stick with soft stuff if you haven't been told to progress to a regular diet yet) and to not drink with your meal or for at least half an hour after.

You're not getting a full feeling from liquids because they don't stay in your pouch long at all.

How often do you eat?  You may be going too long between meals.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 285 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 209 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 278 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 143 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 209 views