how do i cook these to make them moist enough to eat at 5 weeks postop?

Jackie M.
on 10/13/11 3:20 am - Fairhaven , MA
Hi,  We got some scallops and I need a way to cook them so they will be moist and not dry.  I am 5 weeks post op and was wondering if anyone could help me with a way to cook them for hubby and myself.   thanks.  Jackie

Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/13/11 3:23 am - Baltimore, MD
Scallops. That's a tough one (no pun intended). When cooked correctly they melt in your mouth. But it's so easy to do wrong! Which is why I rarely make them myself.
glzgowlass
on 10/13/11 3:36 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
They were one of the first things I cooked.  I just put two of them (for me) on a med-low fry pan with a minimum of olive oil.  Season as desired.  Keep an eye on them and turn them when you see color change about third way up the scallop.  Mine weren't dry and I had no problem eating them at the mushy stage (whcih I am still on)

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 10/13/11 3:43 am - Belleville, IL
This is basically how I do mine...NEVER "overcook them" and yes, a wee bit of butter or olive oil is fine. If you want to add chopped garlic or onion or scallions to this mixture feel free!

Scallops are a great food post op. I began eating them (and crab legs) right around 5 weeks too!
Shrimp is also awesome! I'm a shellfish junkie!

> http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/fishseafood/ss/searseascall ops.htm

Warmly,
Jackie

Jackie M.
on 10/13/11 3:53 am - Fairhaven , MA
Hi Jackie, ( nice name by the way, : )  )    I already eat shrimp, but dont know how to cook those either.  LOL!  I just eat them after they are defrosted ( already cooked)    they go down really good and dont bother me at all.   I love shellfish too!  thanks for your reply.     Jackie

Dee2011
on 10/13/11 3:51 am - PA
I spray a non stick pan with PAM and them add some minced garlic and the scallops I seaon thith oninn and garlic powder and coo****il they are opaque.  They are so moist and yummy.  I've been eating them since I have been four weeks out. At that timwe chicken didn't sit well with me.
Dave Chambers
on 10/13/11 4:30 am - Mira Loma, CA
Never done the scallops post op, but I do shrimp all the time.  I buy the precooked shrimp from my local market. Place 15-20 shrimp (depending on size of shrimp, small, medium, large, but not jumbo) in a ceramic soup mug. Place in microwave and cover with saucer plate. I cook for 3 minutes or so in a 1100 watt microwave.  Using a potholder, remove, and drain off fluids. Remove plate, season with a little salt and pepper, and eat. Very moist and soft and very easy to fix.  I cook frozen fish filets in a similar manner.  I place a fish filet (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) ib a ceramic plate in the microwave. Place a identical sized plate upside down on top of the fish. This now looks like a thin "flying saucer".  Cook 3-4 minutes. Using potholders, pick up plate and hold it level, go to kitchen sink, tip plate to drian off fluids.  Remove top plate, season and eat. Very soft food texture again. This method basically poaches the fish.  I like Red Snapper cooked this way, but it would work with any of the frozen fish filets I see at my local markets. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 6:22 am, edited 10/13/11 6:24 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Olive oil, garlic, quarter scallops, stir-fry quickly, just until turned from translucent.  Enjoy!!

It only takes about 3 minutes to cook scallops and they go wonderfully with our new little pouches.

This is a pretty generic recipe, and can also be used with peeled, raw & deveined shrimp.  I buy
bags of the frozen ones and keep them on hand all the time.  Just let them defrost in the fridge
until you need them.

Good luck!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?