What to take...

Patty P.
on 10/13/11 12:45 pm
What did everyone take to hospital as far as pj's after...I am trying to get ahead of the game and get all my things together. Is there anything special I will need when I get out of the hospital once I get home?

Thanks
Patty
jkay05
on 10/13/11 12:59 pm
I have asked continuously in here for both in hospital and to have at home after. I am to the point of what do I really not need.lol I tend to over prepare. aka Got gas x and beano for hospital.lol among other stuff. Just went shopping today for my pre-op liquid diet stuff. I was gagging on the soup isle thinking of downing that stuff day in and day out. I am not a big soup eater anyway..chicken noodle is my limit.(-:

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/13/11 1:04 pm
I took my baggy pajama pants and a baggy t shirt, but I ended up just wearing my gown until it was time to go home.   I recommend loose pants or a skirt with a drawstring waist so it doesn't saw on your incisions. If you are having a hiatal hernia fixed I also recommend a non-underwire bra. My underwire hit right on my incision.

For when you get home, have your protein, broth, crystal light, and vitamins.  Also DVR your favorite tv shows and get some stuff from Netflix. If you read, now is the time to go to the used bookstore or buy stuff for your e-reader.

BugdocMom
on 10/13/11 1:15 pm - CA
I just used the gown provided at the hospital. Good thing, because my incisions leaked on several and would have stained my jammies. It was also easier to just lift the gown when accessiing my incisions, catheter, and miscellaneous wires. AND the gown had a handy hole the wires passed through and a pocket to place the monitoring equipment in so I didn't have to deal with rearranging things for my walks. I walked a lot. I did use my own robe to wrap around myself so nobody could see my butt while I walked in the halls. Others use another gown put on backwards but I liked having my cozy robe...
Patty P.
on 10/13/11 2:44 pm
Thanks...I need to get things done as my date is 7th and leaving to see a son in Seattle next week. So I need to get things done.
Lucky you to be able to buy what you want for liquid diet portion. We have to buy a kit from doctor's office. I could handle the different soups. My list is far more limited...ugh!
Thanks everyone I think I will just use thier gowns then and bring slippers and robe to hospital. I have my dvr set for all my fave shows and all my audiobooks ready.
I keep thinking this time next month I will already be a week post-op!!
poet_kelly
on 10/13/11 3:03 pm - OH
I didn't take PJ's.  You'll have to wear the hospital gown into the OR but you can change into your own clothes when you get to your room, if you want.  I just thought the hospital gown was easier.  You'll have an IV and maybe a catheter and your incisions might leak on your clothes.  If you wear the gown, ask for a second gown and put it on backwards like a robe so you don't show your butt when you walk the halls.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

emt_amy
on 10/13/11 3:49 pm - MN
I'd recommend bringing small shampoo and conditioner and toothpaste. I wore the gown and robe they provided but I wore pj pants and a baggy sweatshirt sans bra home. Bring chapstick too, my lips got insanely chapped. I also brought a pillow and blanket for the ride home.

Patty P.
on 10/14/11 6:09 am
Thanks I would of never thought of chapstick.. :o)

Kelly you are such a wealth of information...I know whatever question I have you have a good answer. Thank you for being so patient with us pre-opers as I know yoiu have heard many of our questions many many times! :o)

Thanks

Patty
BugdocMom
on 10/14/11 6:52 am - CA
Oh yeah! Chapstick! VERY important. I think that was one of the MOST important things I had with me at the hospital. It was especially handy in the time directly following surgery before I was cleared to drink.

AND I thought I would chime in again to tell you how fabulous kandoo butt wipes were. REALLY! My hubby swiped them from the kids and brought them up to the hospital after I got my catheter out. They were so refreshing. And, since my tummy was swollen and my body was achy and I had all those wires attached, the kandoos (moist towelettes) made it a lot easier to clean my nether regions...
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 316 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 273 views