Weight Loss Predictor?

asiaisacontinent
on 10/15/11 6:37 am - MI
Is there such thing as a bariatric weight loss predictor?? I"m 5'4'', 148lbs and I just had my surgery Monday. I want to know about how much I can expect to be losing, so I know if I'm losing the right amount. Like, by Christmas, which would be 2 months and 2 week, I want to know how much I'll be expecting to weight.

My main reason is that I've failed so many times at weight loss, I think I'm scared I will fail at this too. *sigh* I just want something to compare myself to so I can know if I should be changing things up to lose more than I am.

I know it sounds crazy!
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

BugdocMom
on 10/15/11 6:40 am - CA
Try this:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op+planner.php
asiaisacontinent
on 10/15/11 6:47 am - MI
That's perfect! Thank you!
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/11 6:53 am - Santa Cruz, CA
The best thing you can do is to NOT dwell on it.  You're going to have to focus on how to adjust
to your new way of eating, drinking, and exercising.

If you pay attention to your new life, there is NO way you can fail to lose weight.

The fright is normal, because as you noted you have tried and failed so often.  Well, welcome to
the club.  There's nobody here that hasn't been where you are now.

Be positive:  you will succeed. 

There's going to be some hurdles ahead of you, and you may stub your toe every now and then,
but just get back up and keep working on yourself.

There's a reason for the mantra "walkwalkwalk, sipsipsip, chewchewchew". 

Pay attention to things like your "High Level Alarm" which will tell you when you've eaten enough. 
My HLA  is when my nose starts to run;  when I get the sniffles, I quit eating.  Some folks belch,
others hiccup.  Whichever or whatever it is, when you  get your signal, quit eating.

Stay away from "white foods";  if there's anything that will create problems for you it will be
pasta and bread. 

Take your vitamins and supplements.  There's good reasons for all of them, up to and including
loss of teeth, nerve problems, and anemia if you don't take them.

As you lose weight, the hormones stored in your fat cells will be dumped into your blood stream
where it will cause massive PMS-type reactions.  Warn your loved ones.  It's temporary, but
can be hard on the entire family.  The after-effects of post-op anesthesia is almost as bad.  All
you can do is to "Nap as Needed".

There's a lot of things you have to learn, but keep coming back here if you have questions because
there are some really great folks here and most people are very willing to help.  There may be a
time when you need a good swift kick, and believe me there are folks who'll do that for you, too!

Best wishes,
lookin4mydestiny
on 10/15/11 11:20 am - NC
I am guessing you meant  your weight is 248#??
Dave Chambers
on 10/15/11 12:32 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Set mini goals, not all wt related, or you'll likely be unhappy with wt loss rate.  Too many post ops have "mega wt loss" goals by a certain date, only to be disappointed.  Mini goals include:  one dress size smaller--being able to tie your shoes with the bow in the center, able to cross your legs, no need for seatbelt extenders in your car or on a plane, etc.  Follow protocol established by your surgeon and you'll do fine. There is really no "one specific rate" for wt loss of any patient. We're all different.  You really can't compare you wt loss rate with another person. Even with similar BMI's , pateints will have different wt loss rates, stalls, and issues.  i'd really suggest you attend regular support group meetings. You'll gain a lot of knowledge from other post ops to make your journey easier. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

dasie
on 10/15/11 10:57 pm
Although I had a goal, I concentrated on following my doctor's plan.  I did not buy or bring a scale into my home.  I knew if I did, I would become demoralized when it did not move or moved up as a result of water retention and the normal day-to-day fluctuations.  I think the predictor is you...your lifestyle change and how diligent you are.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 195 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 254 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 264 views