3 days post op

RainDiva
on 10/14/11 1:34 am
I am always bloated and have pain in my stomach cheesy and back and liquid taste horrible even my fav coffee is this normal and will my taste buds change for the better

lilbear412
on 10/14/11 1:55 am - MN
 3 days post op?  yeah its normal..they use gas to pump you up for surgery.  your body has to absorb that.  so sip sip sip and get up every hour and walk a bit around the house or down your driveway and i was sent home with a spirometer which helped my breathing and the gas.  As the gas collects under your diaphram which you feel right about where your sternum is.  So by doing deep breathing you are helping the gas move plus keeping your lungs free of pnuemonia.   The horrible taste in your mouth is probabaly from ketosis.  And the meds they give you to put you to sleep for surgery.  Your body goes into keetosis when its not getting things it needs like carbs.  What ketones do is eat your fat for energy instead of eat your muscle for energy.  I know when i am losing by the taste in my mouth.  Your taste will change from day to day probably.  It took me about a month to get rid of the adversions and even tho i loved the chrystal lights and mixed berry propel zero..its really sweet now for me and i have a hard time drinking it.  Just do the things i told you to do and within the week you should be improving a lot..within a couple weeks you will start feeling a little bit normal again.   

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

RainDiva
on 10/14/11 2:40 am
You have made me feel so much better I keep reading post how it was smooth sailing and they had no problems etc etc so i started to panic.

lilbear412
on 10/14/11 5:12 am - MN
 yeah i know i was there about 2 months ago.  lol but you will be fine.  the first month is really just spent resting and drinking and doing some walking AND learning how to get all the water in and food and maybe some protein.  Then after that its a lot better.  And it goes by fast.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Holly O.
on 10/14/11 2:01 am - FL
Yup..........so normal!!  Give it a week and you will feel so differently!!  Just sip, sip, sip and walk walk walk, and rest rest rest!!  All that gas they pumped into you create little issues here and there but trust me they don't last long.  I am 4 months out tomorrow and down 60 lbs. and have had zero problems and zero regrets!!  I wish you the best..........you will do great!!!
   Holly                                      
jazzycatz
on 10/14/11 2:02 am - Joppa, MD
Ok, I have seen most of your post today and I can tell you are scared and struggling.  Take a deep breath...in fact several...it will help with the gas.  In through the nose, out through the mouth.  Do it while standing and while you are walking.  Walk 10 minutes every hour if you can.  Around the inside of your house is fine, just move. 

You are 3 days out from major sugury.  Of course you are bloated and have pain in your stomach...they just cut away a major portion of it and left you with a capacity of perhaps and ounce (liquid ounce) and a nice set of staples.  Your intestines have been rerouted.  Your body is still trying to catch up from all of this. 

A lot of things are going to taste horrible.  But you have to get in your liquids.  Worry about those above all else right now.  Second worry about protein.  If your drinks are giving you pain try them at room temp. 

Might be too early for your coffee.  A lot of surgeons prefer you on decaf for a few weeks after surgery.  Try it again in a week.  Still don't like it?  Give it another week and try it again.  Keep doing that an eventually you will either come to grips with the fact you don't like it anymore or you will like it again. 

Are you on all liquids?  Soft foods?  No restrictions?  What's your plan? 

Remember...you just had major surgery.  Not everyone has the same recovery. 

Bama_Wifey
on 10/14/11 2:16 am - AL
My surgery was Monday and when I came home on Tuesday - I wanted NOTHING.  I did try to sip water and a little protein shake but I just didnt want it.  But then the next day, I was able to drink a little more.  I branched out to a little cream of chicken soup (minus the chicken) and added a little unflavored protein.  I tried to sip water with MIO but finally got to where I hated it.  So, I tried plain water and ugh....that seemed to hurt more than anything going down.  However, yesterday I did drink some chicken broth, 8 oz protein shake, 1 bottle of nasty water, and even had a sugar free popcicle.  Some things just taste horrible, but I set it to the side and try something else.  I actually had a half cup of decaf coffee this morning.  I was so excited!!  I am only getting in about half of the required liquids but I'm getting there....slowly but surely.  Just hang in there.  If something tastes yucky today, wait a few days and try it again.  Good luck with your recovery!!
HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
RainDiva
on 10/14/11 2:38 am
The surgeon has me on 2 wks clear liq then 2 weeks soft food I just hate this constant bloat feeling and the pain around my chest and stomach. The taste in my mouth is horrible and everything taste funny. I just had a what the heck did I do to myself moment when I just woke up. You guys keep me strong and I have wonderful family I guess the one thing that I didn't expect was the food cravings that I still have even though I am not hungry. It makes me sad. I know this will get better but I am not going to lie right now is horrible and I just want to cry. My friend and her hubby had rny 10 yrs ago and she said the same thing. It will take time but once it comes u get it and then u can enjoy ur new life

Godgaveus2
on 10/14/11 9:28 am - WI

I truly feel your pain!!  As you know, my surgery was Mon and I have been in pain since.  I know lots of it is gas the other is just pain from surgery.  I called my surgeon this morning and he prescribed different meds.  They haven't done much either.  On a happy note, I just let out a few really good farts and I have to say they were the best farts ever.  First ones since surgery, so they were heavily anticipated.  For me, that means things are starting to move around and I am hoping in a few days I will feel better.  As far as the "what the hell did I do to myself" Yep, been thinking that alot the last couple of days.  I have to remind myself it is all worth it in the end.  Luckily, my tastes have not changed and I still enjoy my propel.  I have been doing pretty well with fluids.  I too am on a jello/broth diet for a week.  Yeah, it sucks!  My inlaws were over tonite and they ordered in Pizza Hut.  I just sipped away at my beef broth and jello, YUMMM!  Anyway, I am going to PM you my phone number and please feel free to call me.  I am sure we can be a shoulder for each other to lean on.  Take care.

Amy

MarineMomX2
on 10/14/11 3:19 am - Dallas, TX
You are perfectly normal.  As mentioned above, your body has been through a tremendous change and it's going to take some time before you feel 'normal' again.  The first week I was doing good to sip cream of chicken soup and water wasn't much better.  But, you have to get your water in!  It will also take some time to get your energy lever back again.  By the end of 3 weeks I was ready to go back to work!  Hang in there, it does get better!!

Nelda
"Suck it up...you're a Marine Mom"   Lets do this!!          
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views