Protein Help Please!

arbowman73
on 10/16/11 9:29 am - IN

I am 4 days preop and I am having the most difficult time getting in my fluids and especially the protein... Nothing taste good to me anymore and being on the full liquid diet is well it's own experience in itself. Yesterday I got in around 20/25 and today maybe 30 if I can get in this nasty orange one I just made. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.!!!!

thanks

Pupcake !.
on 10/16/11 9:31 am - Stranded in, IA
All I can say is go to vitalady's site and order a bunch of samples.  They all taste different to all of us, you just have to try them

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

poet_kelly
on 10/16/11 9:35 am - OH
Do you mean  you're four days post op?

You need to sip just about all day long.  Set a timer if you need to.  Try to drink an ounce or two every 10 or 15 minutes.  Carry your drink with you everywhere.  Keep it by your bed at night and take a drink if you wake up during the night.

Try different drinks, and different temperatures.  Some people find room temp or warm drinks are easier to get down than cold.  You can also eat sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello, and those count as liquids.

If you tell us what kind of drinks are going down best right now, I bet we can suggest a way to get protein in like that.  For instance, if hot drinks are going down better, you can put protein powder in hot drinks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

twellington1
on 10/16/11 10:07 am - NH
I found that I could only drink either REALLY COLD or Hot drinks.  I also found that if I add instant SF pudding to the shake it takes away some of the sweetness and helps keep it thick while I am drinking it.  I like the Walmart Whey shakes and I have tried a few different kind.   Look on "eggface's" blog for ideas on flavors etc she has great receipes.  Good Luck, Tina

animal02
on 10/17/11 3:57 am
If you are having a tough time with protien drinks, try unflavored (for me it takes the after taste away) and flavor with anything you want---sugar free jello, dry chocolate powder, sugar free pudding, extracts, sugar free syrups etc., (you may need to add a little sweetner).  Helped me get through the early days and now at 17 months I still have a breakfast shake daily mixed with 1/2 a banana and a few strawberries.
capold3
on 10/17/11 8:24 am - MA
I am happy I found this one, also new here also 4 days post op. Not in pain, have been up and around, sore but doing ok. I can't for the life of me swallow more than about a ounce of the protien shake, it is disgusting.   I am probably getting in about 25 ounces a dayof all liquids if that. I just can't do anymore. I am more nauseus than anything else, even if I am sipping water. Right now in front of me I have a water bottle, decaf coffee, a cup of chix broth, and more than half of the protien shake in front of me.I just keep picking up the water and taking a sip I am getting really upset and discouraged. I went into surgery 239 and came out weighing 250...the scale isn't moving it has only gone to 248. They say it is from the gas and anesthia and such but I keep seeing everyone else is losing. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. How can I get more liquids in. On day 7 I get to start a soft protien, once a day for 3 days, then adding more to it. Today I walked for almost 30 mins, but I was getting to lightheaded. I feel like I am not going to be able to get through this. Thanks for lIstening
Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics