Pouch Rules for Dummies (intersting read)

RainDiva
on 10/18/11 2:46 am
http://www.gastricbypassfamily.com/PouchRules.html

its a lot of info for a newbie like me but I bookmarked it to use for future reference

waitingtoexhale69
on 10/18/11 3:02 am - IL

THANK YOU I'LL CHECK THS OUT, HOW DO YOU BOOKMARK?

avivaps
on 10/18/11 6:33 am
RNY on 02/28/12
Very interesting!  Have bookmarked it for future reference again.  Thanks.

Andrea.
mercedes53647
on 10/18/11 6:50 am - San Antonio, TX

Awesome read!

This smiley is hilarious! I feel like this somedays! 

bittybabynurse
on 10/18/11 7:06 am - MN
Who is it by? Some of the information seems good, but some of it is questionable. I didn't see an author of the article - that always makes me question who wrote it and what authority they have...
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
Paul C.
on 10/18/11 7:30 am - Cumming, GA
Right off the bat I am going to question the manner in which the observations are preformed.  Cottage cheese being a slider food will become easier to eat as the swelling in your pouch reduces meaning you will have an easier time eating more.  The rate at which you eat the cottage cheese will affect how much you eat before being full.  I could probably eat 3-4 cups of cottage cheese if I ate at a pace that took me an hour or so, I am a very slow eater most of the time.

You are much more likely to stretch your Stoma than your pouch since the pouch is made from a part of your stomach that does not stretch easily.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/18/11 11:04 am - OH
Ditto.  Thanks for saving me from all that typing!  That cottage cheese thing is SUCH nonsense...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/18/11 11:33 am - OH
I would not put too much stock in the info on that site.  (Would you really rather believe someone's "observations" than publsihed medical studies?)  Not everything that is on the internet is true, of course, even if it comes from a physician (like that it is ok to take Tums and Flintstone vitamins after RNY).

MY observations, from my own experience, the experiences of those here and those in my live support group indicates that some things from that site (these are just examples) are flat out incorrect:

7. Almost all patients always feel full 24/7 for the first months, then that feeling disappears.
8. Incredible hunger will develop if there is no food or drink for eight hours.
10. By drinking water as much as possible as fast as possible (“water loading"), the patient will get a feeling of fullness that lasts 15-25 minutes.

NOT everyone gets their hunger back.  I have not felt hungry since surgery (and I am 4 years out)!  My blood sugar drops, though, and I get very shaky, lightheaded, and nauseous if I don't eat about every 4 hours.  I would probably pass out if I went 8 non-sleeping hours without eating anything.

Although water loading makes some people feel full, it is because the intestines are full (water runs through your pouch within just a few minutes because of the funnel-like structure of your new anatomy).  Many people, however, do NOT get any significant sense of fullness from just liquid in the intestines.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 2:48 am
Interesting read and discussion in this thread.  Thanks for posting.
Amber L.
on 10/19/11 2:58 am - Sweden
4. No liquids for 1 ½ hours to 2 hours after each meal.

Come ON.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?