Bipolar Disorder/RNY

steph5of7
on 10/20/11 9:48 am - Canada
RNY on 09/27/12
Has anyone out there with Bipolar Disorder had RNY surgery?  What sort of steps did you take to prevent medication issues.
Magnoliagirl
on 10/20/11 9:52 am - Waltham, MA
Hi I have bipolar and am having surgery a week from today. I planned for surgery for 2 yrs to make sure I was stable with meds/mood. I know that they don't want you on any extended release medications because they don't absorb properly. Other than that my meds are going to stay the same as they are after the surgery and we'll adjust them if they need to be adjusted but as for now we're staying with my current regimen.
Hope that helps. Good luck!

proudmama13
on 10/20/11 9:52 am - Bristol, PA
I don't have any insight for you, as I am a pre-op.  However I am also Bipolar and on meds so I am interested to read people's responses!
poet_kelly
on 10/20/11 10:14 am - OH
I don't have bipolar but have depression, PTSD and DID.  I worked closely with my psychiatrist and therapist both before and after surgery.  I changed from extended release meds to regular.  I also had to adjust the dose some (under the advice and supervision of my doc, don't mess around with your meds yourself!).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 10:18 am - Memphis, TN
My BFF has bipolar and she said she crushed her meds up and put them in her soft foods after surgery. Her doc just adjusted as needed after she was little way out from surgery. She had RNY as well.
steph5of7
on 10/20/11 10:35 am - Canada
RNY on 09/27/12
Thanks for such quick response, everyone.  I have yet to be scheduled for surgery but one of my biggest fears is medication issues.  I have been stable for several years now and the thought having problems scares me.  My doctor and I have begun discussing ways to pre-empt problems by regularly testing my blood levels and adjusting as needed.  If you have experiences to share I'd like to hear them.
Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 11:47 am - Mira Loma, CA

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/content/vol46/issue3/images/ large/St04020033T1.jpeg

This link has a list of drugs and an absorption chart of "before and after RNY".  Print the list and show your docs for discussion.   DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Kim M.
on 10/21/11 2:44 am - NC
Hi, I had my RNY surgery June 29, 2011.  I am Bi-polar, anxiety, PTSD and panic attacks.  I too was worried about my medicines, but I take them like before with no problems. I have had the dosage adjusted accordingly though.  Like Kelly said, don't try to adjust them on your own, but talk to your doctor about your concerns.  I did alot of research on all of my meds before my surgery, talked to my doctor and are working closely to monitor them to make sure they meet my needs.  You should be fine as long you follow your doctor's advice.  It won't be long until you're on the losers bench with the rest of us.
Kim    
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 50 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views