Major carnivore suddenly meat averse? What happened?

Kim H.
on 10/21/11 11:15 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I'm wondering if anyone went from being a huge meat lover pre-op to really not liking the flavor anymore as a post-op? I used to love my steak plainly grilled with no sauces. Now, it tastes so strong to me I really don't like it.  Even chicken, fish, all the meats...they just don't taste right to me. I do eat them, even so, since I know I need the protein. But, I have to say I think if I can get my protein in I'll become a vegetarian simply because I don't like the taste anymore. Has anyone else gone through this? Does it diminish with time? I'm just so surprised by this I don't know what to think!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Dave Chambers
on 10/21/11 11:30 am - Mira Loma, CA
Taste changes happen with most post ops. Many foods taste too sweets or unappetizing post op.  You'll have higher sensitivities to odors too.  Even to this day, the odor of bacon cooking make me nauseous.  It will likely diminish with time, but maybe not 100%.  Typcially beef and pork are NOT on the surgeon's menu list until near 5-6 months time.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 10/21/11 12:16 pm - OH
It's pretty common for things to taste different after surgery.  I think it usually goes away eventually, but maybe not always.

You do not need to eat meat to get your protein in.  I haven't eaten meat in about 25 years.  I've recently really cut back on my dairy products, too.  I get at least 70 grams of protein every day and last time I had labs done, my protein level was great.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Raynae S.
on 10/21/11 12:49 pm - PA
I have noticed since I have to chew the meat so much it does not seem to taste that great. It also kinda grosses me out because I sit there and think about what I am eating. I was a vegetarian for about a year and then started eating meat again. I have been thinking about going back.

poet_kelly
on 10/21/11 1:19 pm - OH
Honestly, I don't know how anyone can eat meat if they think about what they are eating.  I'm not trying to criticize anyone for eating meat, I think we should all make our own choices about what is right for us to eat.  I just don't understand how anyone would not think it was gross if they thought about it very  much.

Why did you start eating meat again?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

missjann
on 10/21/11 5:18 pm
I've been a carnivore my whole life but I also don't much care for as much
meat anymore. I eat ground chicken and ground beef on occasion, fish
and lots of beans and lentils and some nuts and peanut butter and dairy
and eggs. I try to get my protein from various sources now.  But I'm
with you....don't like meat particularly so it's usually mixed in a casserole
now.
    Jan

gbsinsatx
on 10/21/11 7:03 pm - San Antonio, TX
 I was no longer able to tolerate poultry or fish after RNY (I did not eat beef). I tried for 5 months then went to a Vegetarian eating plan I created. Please see my profile page if interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/21/11 8:35 pm
I have issues with chicken and beef (unless ground) but it has nothing to do with taste.  They just sit so heavy in my pouch.  I ate chicken last week for the first time in probably 3 months.  It wasn't so bad.  I have to be careful about how it is cooked.  It must be moist.  Leftovers are out of the question.  Fish - not a problem.  I actually eat more fish than any meat now.  Most of my protein comes from non-meat items,  cheese, eggs, beans, yogurt, protein powder.  I am hoping that as time passes I can add back chicken and beef on a regular basis.

Winnie

Day_dream_believer
on 10/22/11 3:04 am
I don't really like chicken or fish anymore.  I have found myself eating a lot of beans and other non meat based protein. 

Most Active
Recent Topics