Pouch wont accept soft foods!!! HELP

asiaisacontinent
on 10/22/11 11:37 am - MI
So my full liquid diet was supposed to end 4 days ago and I attempted to move to soft foods (my next step) and it's been a nightmare. I tried mashed potatoes, tuna, soup with tiny solid in them. etc.

Everything I eat I pulvuirze and make it a complete paste before I swallow, But it feels like I'm swallowing a bowling ball. I squirm around in pain and gas comes up out of no where. I get super gasey burps and it feels like I'm trrying to pass a bowling ball through my pouch.

Does this go away?? 
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

seashell6417
on 10/22/11 11:43 am - Gaylord, MN
How big are your bites?  At that stage of the game I was using one of those tiny coated spoons that you would use to feed rice cereal to a baby.  That helped me take smaller bites and things went down quite easily.  I think I used my baby spoon for two to four weeks, maybe.  Also, I found I was lactose intolerant so anything that I added milk to made me very uncomfortable.  I was fine w/ cheeses and yogurt but not milk.
Tami

asiaisacontinent
on 10/22/11 12:06 pm - MI
Yah I'm using a baby spoon. and I take 3 minutes between each bite. Ugh!
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

littlewitch1973
on 10/22/11 11:43 am - NY
Are you taking any kind of Acid blocker? Like pepcid or anything? 

I was having a similar problem - turns out it was acid reflux. Upped my acid blocker, and went back to liquids for a few days. Managed to get some soft foods in today. 

Your pouch is still healing... it might not be ready for anything yet... I am 4 weeks out, and just now getting soft foods in, lol... it has been a rough month!! 

Good luck to you! I hope you feel better soon!!

asiaisacontinent
on 10/22/11 12:07 pm - MI
It's so weird how doctors are all so different. I was on clear liquids for 1 day and then full liquids  for 10 days. Not I'm supposed to be on soft foods. I am taking prilosec twice a day.

I hope it goes away!
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

glzgowlass
on 10/22/11 12:03 pm, edited 10/22/11 12:05 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
How much are you eating at one sitting? Maybe just try 2 tablespoons of food per meal and see where that goes. If that doesn't work you may need to hold off a bit longer. I had to wait a full two weeks before progressing and I don't think I could have progressed any sooner.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

poet_kelly
on 10/22/11 12:39 pm - OH
Is it like a paste?  Like a sticky kind of consistency?  If so, that might be part of the problem.

Does it cause gas and pain even if you eat just one bite?  How big are your bites?

If full liquids were OK, then I would try making those thicker and/or making pureed food but making it kind of runny.  Like, add extra milk to your mashed potatoes.  Or, if you were eating regular yogurt, try Greek yogurt, which is thicker.  Or add a little protein powder to your Greek yogurt so it's a bit thicker.

Try eating just one or two very small bites.  If you keep having problems with that, then call your surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mzjazziecal
on 10/22/11 1:25 pm - Waukegan, IL
Same for me. I started my mush on friday. I'm hating food right food at this point. It hurts my chest and make me feel sooo sick to my stomach. I know how you are feeling and it is not fun at all.
eunicemaythompson1

on 10/22/11 2:23 pm - WA
im 6wks out and dr put me back on pureed and mushy stuff because my pouch cant tolerate solid food. so we allprogress differently. i hope it gets easier for you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 162 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views