Mexico?

AmberNH
on 10/24/11 2:20 am - Newell, WV
I'm trying to have gastric bypass surgery in mid-December, and I just found out that Medicaid may not cover the surgery for me, because I'm not diabetic. I'm going to fight this, but I need a back up plan. Self pay is my last resort, because, as a college student, I have no funds to put forth. (at least not $27,000, as my surgeon said it costs) I read on this site that a lot of people go to Mexico for their WLS, so I'm starting to kind of look into that. Can someone please share your story with me, if you did go to Mexico? What was it like, and how did you go about choosing a hospital and surgeon?

Tirzah2011
on 10/24/11 4:39 am
Hi Amber.  Dr. Alberto Aceves did my RNY 2 weeks ago tomorrow.  My insurance does not cover wls for any reason and after researching several surgeons in Mexico and a few local surgeons too, I felt that Dr. Aceves was the best choice, even over the local ones.  I was completely happy to save 15 - 20,000 dollars too!

My experience with Dr. Aceves was spectacular.  His coordinator, Nina, was SO helpful before my trip.  She even arranged for my husband to have laser surgery on his eyes while we were there and when she though the first quoted price was too high, got a better deal.  Dr. Aceves, his assistant Dr. Campos, the anesthesiologist (can't recall his name right now), the internist all spoke perfect English.  There are some nurses that do not speak English but it was never an issue.  They are all kind, gentle, understanding and well trained.  The pre-op testing is thorough and the post op care was phenomenal.  Way better than anything I've experienced here in the US or Canada.  The hospital is clean, well equipped, and comfortable.  Even Ernesto, the driver who picks patients up in San Diego and does all the driving for you in Mexicali, is helpful and kind.  He's a wls patient of Dr. Aceves too. 

I'm only two weeks out but haven't had any issues.  My pain after was minimal.  By the Saturday after the surgery I was at the San Diego Zoo, the next day at Sea World.  I have been able to get in all my protein and water every day, although like many others, I can't tolerate plain water.  There has to be something else in it.  I'm starting my mushy diet tomorrow but I am convinced it will go well.  I do find that I am still tiring easily but then, it hasn't even been a full two weeks since I had a major surgery! 
Blessings!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  Albert Einstein

Pre-band weight 330 lbs, May 2004
RNY revision 296, October 2011
Current weight 218

Most Active
Recent Topics