WLS friendly Thanksgiving dinner

LilnAK
on 10/28/11 11:24 pm
By the time Thanksgiving comes around this year, I will be 6 months post op. I normally make turkey, stuffing, yams (made with butter, sugar, pumpkin pie spice & marshmallows), green salad, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, devil eggs & pumpkin pie. I know to avoid the carb rich items like stuffing and rolls. My question to all of the cooks & bakers out there is how do I make these foods WLS friendly? Can I just substitute Splenda for sugar? Do I need to change my recipe or cooking method when using Splenda?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Lillian
 Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly - Anonymous    
Windim
on 10/28/11 11:50 pm - Fountain City, WI
I have found that I can substitute splenda when baking so I do not see why you couldnt use it. They (wally world)do have regular splenda and brown sugar splenda just make sure you check the directions on the brown sugar. There is a bit of difference in using it but I also find it to be not as sweet as regular brown sugar.

knowbetterdobetter
on 10/29/11 12:25 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12

I had a dessert party and made everything with splenda including the punch. Everything was so good and you could not tell the difference. Everyone loved everything and even took the leftovers home. I got all of my recipes off of the Splenda website and from two Splenda cookbooks I have. Some of the things I made were pumpkin pie, chocolate chip cookies, banana pudding, chocolate chunk banana bread, cheesecake, punch, egg nog and I cant remember what else but my favorite was the pumpkin pie. I used Splenda and the splenda brown sugar blend. I also used reduced fat, and fat free ingredients in the recipe as well. I dont know how WLS friendly the recipes are because I made them for the diabetics in my family and I wasn't even thinking about WLS back then.

immafatgirl
on 10/29/11 12:29 am - KY
CANT WAIT TO TRY SOME OF THESE RECIPES. i just wish splenda werent so expensive and it takes so much of it .
seashell6417
on 10/29/11 2:21 am - Gaylord, MN
If I am not mistaken the Splenda brown sugar does have regular brown sugar in it (I don't have a box on hand to check right now, though).  Keep that in mind if you are sensitive to sugars.
Tami

poet_kelly
on 10/29/11 4:10 am - OH
It does, it's half brown sugar and half splenda.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dancerwife
on 10/29/11 10:26 am
Last Thanksgiving I made a pumpkin pie with splenda.  My husband and all of my co-workers loved it.  I used the Splenda baking sugar.  I think it's part splenda and part sugar.

• deep dish pie shell
  • large eggs, Beaten
  • 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
  • cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
  • teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  •  
  • Directions:

1. 1 Heat oven to 375 degrees. Allow pie crust to thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes.
    2. 2 Combine eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, Splenda, and pumpkin pie spice in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed for approximately 1 minute.
    3. 3 Pour this pumpkin mixture into the thawed pie shell. Bake pie on center oven rack for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
    4. 4 Cool the pumpkin pie before cutting into 8 servings.
    5. 5 Cooking time does not include time to cool.

Nutritional Facts for Splenda Pumpkin Pie

Serving Size: 1 (134 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Calories 180.8

Calories from Fat 93
    51%
    Total Fat 10.3 g
    15%
    Saturated Fat 4.2 g
    21%