shakiness/ hypoglycemia? question for kelli.

emt_amy
on 10/30/11 12:51 pm - MN
So this has only happened a couple times but I watched my dad have episodes all the time. I get really shaky and lightheaded. The latest episode was about a half hour ago. I had eaten about 3 hours before that. My dad never followed his diet plan after surgery and he is now pre diabetic...

This has happened before my surgery too. What's your opinion on it?
Kelli, you mentioned you had reactive hypoglicemia, what do you think?

emt_amy
on 10/30/11 12:54 pm - MN
Sorry for the misspelling Kelly, my sister has the same name....just with an I.

poet_kelly
on 10/30/11 1:12 pm - OH
Does it go away if you eat something?  It's hard to describe exactly how I feel.  I would say it's shaky and kind of lightheaded and just... odd in some way.  Something just doesn't feel right.  But it generally goes away if I eat.  Something with both some carbs and some protein seems to work best.

Do you have a glucometer?  Can you check your blood sugar when it happens?  Sometimes when I check mine it's not really that low, maybe something like 70, but it's never higher than that when I get that shaky feeling.  And other times if I check it an hour or so after eating it's higher than that, closer to 100, usually.  And again, it gets better as soon as I eat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

emt_amy
on 10/30/11 1:18 pm - MN
You described it exactly. Every time I've had a fasting test its been around 100. I don't have a meter but I wonder if the clinic would loan me one or something.
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 2:12 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Meters are available either by prescription, when it would be paid for by your insurance, or just OTC
where you pay for it yourself.  They aren't expensive, either way.

I keep mine on hand all the time, it's a good thing to have handy. 

I get "the jitters" and get kind of cranky when I've got low blood sugar, and I agree that a quick
little meal of protein and complex carbs is a good way to avoid it.

Best wishes,
Susan_U
on 10/30/11 1:22 pm - Ontario, CA
I eat ever 2.5 to 3 hours, and eat the 1 - 2 ounces my surgeon recommended.  I have found that if I go for a longer period of time that I do feel a bit shakey and unwell.  As soon as I eat I feel fine.  Now that I am back at work my supervisor & co-workers have learned that when I say I need to take my break, I need to take it now

HW: 260  -  Consult: 241  -  SW: 239  -  CW: 206  -  GW: 140

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Will Rogers

emt_amy
on 10/30/11 2:15 pm - MN
The meters aren't the expensive part.....those little strips are. Lol
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 6:42 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Ain't THAT the truth!!
Most Active
Recent Topics