carbonated drinks

Monique A.
on 11/4/11 11:12 am
I know that after RnY we are not to have carbonated drinks and have to allow them to go flat before we can even have pop but I was wondering why?

Zeigled
on 11/4/11 12:06 pm - Parkton, MD
I drink carbonated drinks - selzer with lime and have no problem with it.  My friend who also had RNY can't tolerate them because it shoots out her nose.  They do NOT stretch the pouch.
HW 357 SW 341   

exohexoh
on 11/4/11 12:12 pm - West Chester, PA
 for some it causes gas, but that's really the only reason other than it's a trigger for some. i drink coke zero or diet coke regularly with no problems, and i don't let them go flat. yuck.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

poet_kelly
on 11/4/11 12:16 pm - OH
We do not have to allow them to go flat.  The carbonation gives some people gas or makes their belly hurt.  In that case, yeah, you probably want to let it go flat.  Or just drink something else.  I think flat soda is gross.  If it doesn't cause you any discomfort, though, there is no reason you need to let it go flat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Patty P.
on 11/4/11 1:00 pm
I was wondering that also. My NUT said no soda at all, so I have been diet coke free since November 18th...Now that I am away from them not sure I wanna go back.
hopeful123
on 11/4/11 1:15 pm - Indianapolis , IN
i always thought it was because the carbonation could stretch the pouch. also because of the sugar. was i wrong?

TONYA

poet_kelly
on 11/4/11 2:03 pm - OH
Well, you're wrong about it being able to stretch the pouch.

At the top of your pouch is an opening where food and liquids come from your esophagus into your pouch.  At the bottom of your pouch is another tiny opening where the pouch connects to the small intestine.  Before surgery, you had a pyloric valve between your stomach and your small intestine but you don't have that anymore.  Just an opening.

When you drink soda, it comes into your pouch and runs right out the bottom of your pouch.  It's only in your pouch for a minute or two.  Since there are two openings, it is impossible for liquid or gas to build up and stretch the pouch.

You are right about there being a lot of sugar in regular soda.  Diet soda is sugar free, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PTM
on 11/4/11 1:28 pm
I was told that it could cause gas, and for some reason I was under the impression that we were not supposed to have carbonated drinks after surgery. At my last follow-up visit, I happened to say "I miss Diet Pepsi" to my surgeon and he said if I want to drink it and it doesn't bother me physically, it certainly wasn't forbidden. In fact, he had the surgery a few months before I did and said he drinks soda occasionally.

I think it was Kelly who mentioned on another thread that it's not a good idea to drink a LOT of soda, and I agree with that. It really has no nutritional value. I haven't had more than a sip or two at a time since surgery, but I do see having a soda every now and then as a realistic expectation. Moderation in everything, isn't that what "they" say? I'll use it as a treat, I think.
Margaret   HW: 342    SW: 320    CW:  228    GW:  175    3          
roxie46
on 11/4/11 1:42 pm
I do as well drink diet pepsi now and then. I asked my doctor about  my 2 month post op and he said for me to wait for another month but not to drink alot of it cause of the gas it may cause. it was hot at times and water, freeze pops, sugar free jello all those sugar free cold things was not cutting it for me at that time. I have not gottin much gas with anything i drinkl or eat. I only drink diet pepsi once in a while and sugar free drinks. In 2 weeks i be 6 month post op and i have lost litttle over 69 pounds starting from the 9 day liquid diet before the surgey. it nice to be able to fit inot size 16 pants from size 24. family and friends always commenting on how i look and it sure does makes u feel better when they notice that the surgery has worked for me when they have seen some people it not worked for.
Monique A.
on 11/4/11 2:39 pm
Congrats on your success Roxi!!
Definately any pop would need to be sugar free. I definately want to have some coke zero as I miss it. I think the only problem with colas is the caffeine but that if offset by more water can still be accomodated.
Thanks for your help everyone!

Most Active