Emotional apathy at 4 months?

Kim H.
on 11/10/11 6:22 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I'm almost exactly 4 months out and recently I've been feeling sort of apathetic. I don't feel depressed or anything just sort of disconnected. I feel like it started when I was having anxiety over my fear of failure and stopped weighing except for twice a month. Now, I feel like I'm in some weird no man's land where I don't feel much of anything. Really, I think it's a reaction to my fear of not losing all the weight but I'm not sure. Maybe it's just that being obsessed with food has been such a huge part of my life and now...there's a lot of empty, quiet space where it used to be. Has anyone gone through anything like this? I thought I would post since I haven't even been reading the boards lately. Any advice or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Price S.
on 11/10/11 7:48 am - Mills River, NC
I did have a time when I thought, so this is it???  I know what to do and just have to keep doing it???  I had added everything back in, weight was still coming off, sizes were changing but it did seem empty.  Didn't last long.  As I got closer to goal and there, I was re-energized to continue to eat right and enjoy my new health (and tiny clothes). 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

dlo2
on 11/10/11 7:49 am - Brandenburg, KY
 I think we all go through so many emotions when we have this surgery.  Maybe the excitement of it all is wearing off and normal life is taking over.  It is hard to say because we are all so different. I would recommend talking to your dr. Or a counselor if you are really concerned about your emotional state.  Sometimes all it takes is talking with someone but  you may need antidepressant only your dr can counselor can answer that for you.  But I do know I have had so many emotions during this journey.  Hope you find the help you need.  I know first hand that depression is not something to take lightly.
Ladytazz
on 11/10/11 8:34 am
Have you had your labs checked recently?  I went through a terrible period of apathy, about 2 years, when I was very sick.  I was told that it could be related to vitamin deficiency.
Also, are you on antidepressants?  I have heard that some can dull emotions, too.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/10/11 9:53 am, edited 11/10/11 1:09 am - OH
You may be experiencing mild depression calld dysthymia. It is also possible that you are. Going through a version of what some people experience once the excitement and anticipation of surgery is over. Many of us go through such an emotional rollercoaster prior to and right after surgery that just getting OFF that rollercoaster can feel apathetic in comparison.

Just FYI, many people experience a kind of emotional "let down" further down the road... the weight has come off and the compliments stop and normal life (and the task of maintaining the weight loss) takes over... It is good that normalcy sets in, but it can feel a bit empty or "ho-hum".

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

studleyslove
on 11/10/11 10:07 am - Marion, KY
I am slightly over 4 months out and I know exactly what you are talking about. I think you "mourn" for your food, like there's something gone from your life that you can never get back. Your emotions are like spiraling and you don't know where to go from here. No one can understand that except another WLS patient. I watch everyone else eating and even though I really don't crave anything they are eating, it's just like........hmmm, I used to be able to do that, too. But, just think, if we were able to still do that, we wouldn't have the weight loss that we have now. I tell everyone I miss my food. I am a boredom eater. I find if I can keep myself busy and not in the house all the time, I do better. But, I totally understand what you are saying. As they say, "this, too, will pass" A year from now, you will be going through more emotions, better ones! Keep up the good work!!
Sarah Hollis
Most Active
Recent Topics