Questions....

ksurber
on 11/10/11 1:40 am - Sugar Grove, VA
  I have 11 month old boy/girl twins and a 5 yr old and I am wanting to have the RNY surgery but I have a few questions. Will I be able to take care of my kiddos right out of surgery? How long will I be unable to do my normal routine? How much pain will I be in? Will I be in the hospital for any amount of time, other than for the surgery? Any help would be great!! Thanks
Kayla Surber    
stlfocus
on 11/10/11 2:07 am - IA
My doctor said no lifting over 15 lbs for 3 weeks. 

I was fortunate and left the hospital off pain meds.   Surgery on Monday a.m. and home on Wednesday a.m.

I was really tired, but I went back to work after one week off. 

I read here some people are in a lot of pain, have a lot of nausea, etc.  I was lucky and had none of that.

Good luck to you.
proudmama13
on 11/10/11 2:26 am - Bristol, PA
Hi Kayla,

Just wanted to reach out because I am in the same boat.  My surgery is scheduled for next month and my son will be almost 4 months at that time.  My surgeon said I can lift him with no problem, just nothing over 20 pounds.  I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that's off pain meds with no issues...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!

Best of luck!
Selena

motherofe
on 11/10/11 2:56 am
My son was 20 months so I could not lift him after surgery and because I am a slow healer and was in horrible pain for 2.5 months My husband and parents had to take care of me and my son for that entire time.  i thought I was never going to be better but one day the pain was gone and my son was back in my arms again and I was bathing and cooking for myself again.

Ive come to learn from friends who  have had the surgery and from on this site that every one has different experiences.
Dave Chambers
on 11/10/11 3:45 am - Mira Loma, CA
My surgeon has a wt restriction of 15 pounds for a MINIMUM of 3 weeks post op.  Depending on the patient, it may be a little longer. With small kids you DO NEED HELP to take care of them for this time frame. "Not thinking, but reacting" and picking up too much wt may disrupt your healing process with pain as a result.  Have a good friend or relative stay with you for at least 3 weeks post op.  You may need help too. Each post op is different, but some post ops have very difficult times handling the first 3-4 weeks postop, even if they don't have kids. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
Recent Topics