Need Info..

ksurber
on 11/13/11 9:28 pm - Sugar Grove, VA
 I am considering the RNY surgery, which I already posted one post and got some great replys. But my question now is.. Could you all tell me about the weeks before what you have to do, down to the day of surgery? And after surgery how you did, up until now... Also how much did you weigh? I know that's a lot of questions but I really need to find out, since I have a 5 yr old and 11 month old twins.. Thanks a million!
Kayla Surber    
Stacy11
on 11/13/11 9:37 pm
Hello,  can tell you about my short journey so far.. I had surgey Oct 6th  so I am just a little over a month out.  before surgey I had to go thru  6 months weightloss thru medical doc. see physc doc to take a test, (this was required by my insurance and I think some require it)  So  then two weeks before surgey i thought I was going to have to do liquid but I didn't (some people do)   the day before surgey is a STAY AT HOME day CLean out your system you get to drink that nasty stuff and run to bathroom all day NO FUN ... the next day was surgey I was scared but ready.  The evening of surgey the nurses have you up and walking the halls. I was in little pain but you do what you can then rest awhile and try again I had morphine pump and I kept pushing it!  THe day after surgey I was sick (but that is just me) not everyone is so dont be alarmed..   I came home the next day its hard to get up from chairs for first couple days and laying in bed was tough getting a shower without help was tough for couple days... After that its tolearble.. I didnt care for the liquid meds i was on so i quit taking them all together.. by one week I felt much better I went back to work after  2  weeks and other than being very tired I did great..  i weighed myself Friday and i was down 30 pounds from the day of surgey.

GOod luck to you!

Vivian Prouty
on 11/13/11 9:40 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Hi Kayla,

I may not be the best person to answer these questions because next week I will be 6 yrs. post op RNY.    Things are done totally different now.   Also different surgeons have different requirements.    Most surgeons require a 2 week pre op liquid diet before your WLS to shrink your liver so that the surgery can be done easier.   Also most have you on a week or two liquid diet post op and they you progress from pureed, soft, semi solid and then solid foods.     After surgery they usually have you up and walking within a few hours to move the gas ( If you have gas from surgery and most people do have it ).    I weighted 273 at my largest and got down to 133.    I have NEVER regreated for a second doing my WLS.    Even with all the dumping that I have done since my WLS I have never regreated my decision.    Good luck to you and your decision.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

angel3
on 11/13/11 9:43 pm
I had my surgery on 7/6.I went thru a 6 month program.Had to go once a month,have a psych eval,attend 2 support groups .Also had to lose 10% of of my body weight.I started the program at 217 in October 2010.The day of surgery I was 195 and am now 152.I had surgery one day and was home the next.I really had no pain and no gas pains,almost felt pretty normal like I did not even have surgery
iowa_missie74
on 11/13/11 10:00 pm - IA
Hi Kayla...before my surgery I had to have 6 months of documented weight loss "attempts" I will call it. Just a record from my doctor of what I have done in the past, what I was doing then and things like that pertaining to weight loss. After that was done, I went to the bariatric center and had to have several evals. Education class, dietician 2 times, psychiatric 2 times, including a 2+ hour test on the computer, physical therapy, occupational therapy, meetings with nurses and the pharmacist. After I was released from all of them I scheduled surgery, after having a physical done by my surgeon. Time really did seem to fly, even tho it took me a year from start to finish. Before surgery, I was on a two week diet of high protien, low carb. They wanted to see my weight drop, but the amount didn't matter as long as they knew I was following the rules. The day of surgery I was so excited and not even nervous. I was up walking the halls that night with a nurse, but then thru the night I couldn't sleep so walked alone. I showered the next day, just with someone outside the door and went home the day after that. I honestly didn't even feel like I had surgery. I was on liquid vicodin, which I hated the taste of, so I stopped taking it and was fine. When I went home I stayed alone, took care of my kids...they are 7 and 17, so a huge difference from your little ones, definitely. I was driving a few days after I got home. I went back to work after a month, but that's just because I do some lifting and couldn't do that right away. I went home having a 15 pound weight restriction for a couple of weeks. That might be a little hard with your twins but I'm sure would work out for you. Now, today I am 7 weeks out of surgery and am down 32 pounds, have lost 7 inches from my waist and 6 from my hips. I feel soooo much better. My advice to you would be to do the surgery as soon as you are able to. I know I have missed out on so much with my kids because of what my weight was. I couldn't run around with them, push them very long on swings at the park or even sit on a ride with them at an amusement park. I didn't want to swim with them or anything. Now I can't wait to do all that stuff. My hightest weight was 294, surgery weight was 260, current weight 228 and goal weight is 130. I have a ways to go, but have no doubt that with this surgery tool, I will get there in no time. I truly saved my life. Good luck to you!! Add me as a friend if you like, I don't mind trying to help anyone or answering questions.

binebrinkrn
on 11/13/11 10:06 pm - VA
 I had my RNY on Oct. 24, so today is 3 weeks post op.  My insurance required me to go through 4 months of  "diet counselling" and a psychological eval.  Two weeks prior to surgery I was to try and lose 5-10 lbs. I did lose 5 lbs, but i was not good a dieting and my works schedule didn't help. I had to have clearl iquids on the day prior to surgery.  I did not have to do any type of bowel prep, thank the Lord!! When I went home, I placed a pillow in the chair so I could get up alittle easier. I had a good bit of pain for the first week, but I have virtually none now.  I still get tired on long walking trips, like to the mall.  My youngest child is 6 so he's been good about doing things on his own and helping mommy out.   I just started carrying laundry baskets over the weekend and I try not to make them too heavy.  I have 2 flights of stairs to carry them so I usually rest between floors. 
My advice is take your time and listen to your body.  Lifting too much, too early can put you at risk for hernias, so be careful with the babies.  We are all different and our bodies respond at different paces. Make sure you're listening to your surgeon and following the directions to help keep issues at bay.  

Goodluck!!

Most Active
Recent Topics