Meeting with the social worker

hjb
on 11/15/11 12:56 am
Hey everyone,

I am pre-op and meeting with the social worker in Hamilton Ontario next week. Can anyone tell me what I should be prepared for? What kinds of questions do they ask?

I'm actually kind of angry at the moment. I had my internist apt in August and it appears they forgot about me until now (even after I've called and left messages wondering when my next appointment would be) Today I finally got through and they said they would "get me back into the swing of things".....so why did I have to wait around for months?! I just want to get the show on the road and begin my new life. Blah. Sorry, just a quick rant.

Any helpful information regarding the social worker is welcome! Thanks!
hjb
on 11/15/11 7:50 am
65 views and no replies? is it something I said... lol
Sunbunnyqt
on 11/15/11 8:34 am - FL
I viewed your post having no idea it was about the approval process in Canada. I know there are many people from Canada that are members so maybe you can mention that in your title. I hope you get some answers soon. I'm not sure what this interview would equate to in the U.S.

Wishing you good luck in your journey.
Momx4kids
on 11/15/11 4:00 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
I'm from B.C., I can't comment on the social worker because I didn't have to meet with one (not required in B.C. I guess), only the nut.
I can understand the anger though, when I was jumping through all the hoops, I waited almost a year thinking all tests were done and went to meet with my Doc., and he said oh sorry I can't give you a date yet because we are missing the results of one test!! Why did he not tell me that before I traveled to Victoria!!?? (2 1/2 hr ferry ride). Boy was I mad, so I had to track the test results down myself and send them over to him. Then waited another year for a surgery date!
Rhonda

Momx4kids
on 11/15/11 4:06 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
Found this on the Ontario Obesity Bariatric Network hope it helps!

You meet with a Social Worker before being considered for bariatric surgery. The goal of this visit is to assess and gather information about you to help determine if weight loss surgery is the best choice for you. The Social Worker can educate, support and assist you to prepare for lifestyle changes that are necessary for gastric bypass surgery to be successful.

The Social Worker discusses eating habits, lifestyle changes, social supports and past and current life stressors as related to your coping skills. For example some people benefit from treatment for eating disorders before surgery and have an established plan for further help after surgery. Others may have a complex mental health background that needs to be explored.

To help with the assessment the Social Worker may contact other health care professionals, or counsellors whom you may already be seeing for psychosocial issues. You may complete some questionnaires. The Social Worker may arrange a meeting for you to talk to the program psychologist or psychiatrist

hjb
on 11/16/11 1:57 am
Thanks so much for this information!! Now I can be a bit more prepared when I go in :)
Momx4kids
on 11/16/11 5:19 am - Abbotsford, Canada
No problem, good luck!
Rhonda

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 378 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 197 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?