New Bypass patient

Stephanie L.
on 11/21/11 6:03 am
I had my bipass this past Thursday and by Friday I was up and walking around in the hospital.  This surgery was much easier than 2 sections I've had (recovery wise).

Today is 4 days since my surgery and I have broth coming out my ears.  I am looking forward to my week 2 so much especially with Thanksgiving.

My question is did everyone stick to the 1 week rule or did you start intrducing things at different paces. I can't wait for mashed peas and apple sauce (not together) of course but I'm looking forward to more things then liquids which I have no problems with as long as I pace myself.

Anyone?

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/21/11 6:22 am
yes I did. waited as much as I was told to. nothing worse that getting sick on holidays - since the doc and hospital stuff may be less than normal days...
new pouch - I would not risk it...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Stephanie L.
on 11/22/11 2:21 am
Great points.  Thank you.  I'll behave and be patient.

Stephanie :)
Eliza55
on 11/21/11 6:32 am - PA
I would go very slow, and follow the recommendations of your doc.  You may be tired of broth now, but if you move too fast, you'll be back to broth! 

Also watch out for the holiday turkey,  which can be particularly hard to digest - at 3 months out, I can't do chicken, beef or turkey.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

A. C
on 11/21/11 6:46 am
i waited, but i have a very easy diet to follow - i was on pureed foods on week 2, so didn't have long to wait!
i'm going to give turkey a try.. i'm doing fine with chicken, had a little beef that seemed fine as well.. but only a bite or two of the turkey!
Reel
on 11/21/11 6:50 am

I had RNY on 11/1, and yes I stuck with the plan. Until soup began to nauseate me. Luckily I became nauseated on the last day of fluids. It was exactly on day 14 that I started the puree phase.  Now I'm on day 7 of the pureed phase. I have 7 more days to go and I admit it is getting very very hard. I have a hard time even ingesting my protein.  I am trying so hard to think of the "big picture". Sadly, both Thanksgiving, and my Birthday occurs while I'm in the pureed phase. Perhaps I'll get to enjoy many birthdays post-op.

To make matters worst, I spent 7 days of eating fat free, low calorie, yucky pureed food, and I only lost 2 pounds this week. That sucks!!!!!

My doctor's office reminded me that my stomach is "like a baby's stomach", and it must be given the time to heal. I must be delicate with it. So that translates into me remaining in the pureed phase for the holidays.

Highest Weight: 314, Pre-Op Weight: 294, Surgical Weight: 279, 1st Goal Weight: 170, 2nd Goal Weight: 155, Current Weight:163

myminime
on 11/22/11 2:26 am - Eugene, OR
On November 21, 2011 at 2:50 PM Pacific Time, Reel wrote:

I had RNY on 11/1, and yes I stuck with the plan. Until soup began to nauseate me. Luckily I became nauseated on the last day of fluids. It was exactly on day 14 that I started the puree phase.  Now I'm on day 7 of the pureed phase. I have 7 more days to go and I admit it is getting very very hard. I have a hard time even ingesting my protein.  I am trying so hard to think of the "big picture". Sadly, both Thanksgiving, and my Birthday occurs while I'm in the pureed phase. Perhaps I'll get to enjoy many birthdays post-op.

To make matters worst, I spent 7 days of eating fat free, low calorie, yucky pureed food, and I only lost 2 pounds this week. That sucks!!!!!

My doctor's office reminded me that my stomach is "like a baby's stomach", and it must be given the time to heal. I must be delicate with it. So that translates into me remaining in the pureed phase for the holidays.

Yay!  Someone else is in the same boat :)

I had my RNY on the 2nd and this week I decided to randomly gain a half pound one day and then slowly start taking it off, so I might hit two pounds this week.  I know it's just part of the process, but it doesn't make drinking the protein shake any easier :)
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

NANCY C.
on 11/21/11 7:12 am - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
 I have my 2 week checkup tomorrow and I am still on liquids.  Not clear liquids but not puree either.  My doctor requires 4 weeks of liquids - has to be able to go thru a straw (but don't use the straw!) - and this is after 10 days of liquids pre op.  I am really wishing I could eat mashed potatoes on Thursday but I will do as I am told!  

Anyone got a sugar free popcicle to share?? 

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

ShebasMom
on 11/21/11 7:49 am
Revision on 07/05/16
I was on liquids until my first follow up appt at 2.5 weeks, then slowly transition to half cup soft/mushy food. I still drink shakes to boost my protein.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Jedene F.
on 11/21/11 10:49 pm - Oneonta, NY
It seems like every surgeon's office has a different post-op diet!  I was on liquid for 1 week post op only and then could introduce scambled eggs and oatmeal and even mashed potatoes.  By week 8 anything could be eaten!  I did abide by the rules given to me - we had a nice laminated menu to follow showing what new foods could be introduced in which week - and had no trouble following it.  I didn't want to eat something my body wasn't ready for so I faithfully followed the plan and now can eat anything!

ORIGINAL: HW 318.2; SW 295.0; LW 158.6
RECOMMIT: RGW 220.8; CW 206.2; GW 158

Most Active
Recent Topics