My 12 month wait is finally over

Maria G.
on 11/23/11 2:17 am - VA
Well......... I received a letter on monday (21st) informing me that I have successfully completed my 12 month pre-surgery requirement and that they would be informing BC&BS on Nov 22, 2011.  So now its Nov 23, and where is my phone call from the surgens office.!!!  This is the worst kind of torture that you could ever inflict on another person. (lmao)
I guess that it should go without saying that this has been a long and stressfull 12 months.  I have not come across too many people that have had a 12 month wait as I have.  It hasnt been easy seeing people come on here and express their excitement about receiving their dates (although I am extermely happy for them) but I know that I too shall receive mine someday (hopefully very very soon, lol)  I have been on here over the past year, quietly reading and learning from yall, I have gone from emotional meltdowns to truly laughing out loud from some of the things that yall put out there.  Yall have been so very helpful and informative and I look forward to continuing the next part of my journey hopefully not as quietly as I have been before.
I shall keep everyone posted but until then I wish everyone a very wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

Maria

jkay05
on 11/23/11 2:44 am
I had to wait a yr to..it was miserable. Then I was approved pronto. I say call your surgeons office and ask if you have been approved and set up for a date yet? LOL Call them till they give you an answer. I didnt have to I was approved before I knew they even sent in for approval. It was a nice surprise. I had my surgery Oct 31. I say enjoy now because after surgery is a big adjustment in eating and coping with the changes and the way your body wants to do things. I have  yet to figure this one out.LOL  Good Luck! And Happy Thanksgiving.

Jameen G.
on 11/23/11 2:57 am - NC
Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands ... call the surgeon's office! 

I also had BCBS ... thank God I didn't have to go through any Pre- stuff for them whatsoever.  But I remember calling BCBS to see if they had approved me yet.  When they said yes, I immediately hung up the phone and called the surgeon's office and asked them the next step ... I got my date.  My surgeon's office was used to people being excited about the upcoming surgery and calling them.  Girl, do you!  The best to you and Happy Thanksgiving also!!!!

jameen (take a minute to smile ...)

Rdy4change11
on 11/23/11 3:32 am - GA
Congrats on getting thru the last year!  Hope you hear something soon!
Reel
on 11/23/11 3:36 am
I was very blessed in that I did not have to wait any longer than it took to complete all the pre-surgical tests. I had lots and lots of test and seminars so that took about 3 months in regards to getting appointment times etc. I officially started the program on 6/4/11, and I received my surgery date the end of 9/11 for an October 4th date. However due to work obligations I could not leave on the 10/4/11 and I had to wait until 11/1/11.

So all in all the wait was 3 months for a surgery date, and much of that 3 months was because I had to wait for appointments with other doctors. My insurance company took less than a week to approve the surgery. I had a BMI of 50, with 3 co-morbidities so I was automatically approved. It is a blessing thus far!

I'm sure you will hear something soon!

Highest Weight: 314, Pre-Op Weight: 294, Surgical Weight: 279, 1st Goal Weight: 170, 2nd Goal Weight: 155, Current Weight:163

Jamie B.
on 11/23/11 4:04 am - MI
Hi Maria! Congrats to you!! I can't even imagine that kind of wait..and I'm glad its almost over for you!! 

Next post....surgery date!!  What a great Thanksgiving gift. Take care and get your protein powder ready! 
Jamie        
melody S.
on 11/23/11 1:36 pm - Morgantown, WV
I'm on month 2 of my 12 month supervised diet, so I feel your pain. Glad you are almost there.
kder25
on 11/24/11 10:28 pm - Potsdam, NY
RNY on 02/15/12
Hi Maria!!!  This journey has also been a long for me.  My insurance only requires a 6 month supervised program.  I went to my informational meeting Dec 2010 and began the process.  However after 4 months in I find out that my insurance was not covering any of my visits or testing because of a pre-existing condition.  I filed a grievance and lost.  I had to put my process on hold until the pre-existing didn't apply anymore and that was Aug 2011.  At my last appointment the doctors office said they would be submitting everything to the insurance company for pre-approval.  That was more than a month ago.  I called the insurance company and they had not received anything so i called the doctors office.  They said nothing had been submitted yet.  It was a letdown to hear that.  I have done my pre-op nutrition meeting so everything should be submitted soon.  I have been having the same feelings as you, the torture of waiting, seeing others get their dates, etc.  Good luck to you and keep us posted!!!!   
Most Active
Recent Topics