Grazing

ecshumway
on 11/26/11 10:46 am - NY
I had my surgery Aug 23, 2011. I am down 50 pounds and have been losing every week, not a lot but losing at least. I find the last few weeks I have been grazing in the evening. I just start eating and because I am sitting down watchng TV, I just want to eat. I'm so afraid I am going to or have already stretched my pouch. I seem to be able to eat a lot without discomfort. I  have a follow up appt with my Dr on Thursday. I feel like I'm slipping back into my old habit of eating at night. I know it's out of boredom but once the workday is over I seem to lose all energy and willpower. I'm not looking ofr any solutions because I need to find them myself but is there anyone who has gone through this. What did you do? My husband ordered WII for us and I'm hoping that we will use that at least for part of the evening. I could be doing so much with my time in the evening but I seem to get so lazy. I keep telling myself that tomorrow I will be more careful. I think I need to clean out my cupboards of nuts and snack foods. Start eating more veggies and protein. I don't want to regain the 50 I lost. I need to change my evening habits.
Ideas anyone?
Thanks to everyone.

Hvfaith
on 11/26/11 12:00 pm - St Albert, Canada
Grazing is hard.  It's something that's so very hard to change but can quickly lead to weight regain.  I struggle with it a lot, and for me it's emotional.  Bored, tired, sad, lonely, happy, all excuses I use to eat.  The pouch I have is very forgiving (unfortunately).  I can graze on carbs and it's fine.  so I've had to really take a step back and evaluate why I'm eating.  Now I'm really trying to turn to a glass of water or hot tea (green or black or flavored, switch it up).  I do find I'm often thirsty and the craving for grazing goes away, but it's not the first thing I reach for.  I always want food first, so its hard work.  I just try to remind myself I don't want to fail at this surgery tool.  I sometimes wonder if my lack of muscle has led to a lack of energy.  Seems I get home from work and I can barely move for the rest of the evening.  I too find myself on the couch a lot.

HW: 360 lbs; 1st Clinic Weighin: 343.7 lbs; SW: 318 lbs; LW 221lbs; Regain 256lbs  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/26/11 12:25 pm - OH
MANY of us have struggled with grazing/snacking in the evening.  Your solution to get the bad snack foods out of the house is an excellent start.  You may, however, find yourself snacking just as much, but just on healthier foods.  While that is an improvement, it's not really a solution to the problem since even with healthier foods, the additional calories still add up and once you are able to eat more AND your caloric malabsorption is gone, those calories can be the difference between maintaining your weight or having the weight start to very slowly creep up.

My best suggestions are to find something to do that will keep your hands busy (so you physically CANNOT eat) and to put something like a pre-op picture of you on the refrigerator and/or pantry door to remind you of the consequences of that snacking.  I would also suggest looking at WHY you have the urge to snack. Sometimes it is boredom, sometimes it is for comfort, sometimes it is just habit... but knowing WHY you snack can help you to identify ways to address whatever that issue is.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kim H.
on 11/26/11 8:05 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I struggle with this on and off, too. However, I have a sort of ritual that has helped. I clean the kitchen, shine the sink, make sure my meals are planned and even portioned for the next day, and then I announce out loud that "the kitchen is closed," turn off the lights and don't go back in until the morning. It might sound silly but it has helped me to remember that just because it's there doesn't mean I have to eat it. Good luck!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Michelle E.
on 11/26/11 9:49 pm

The truth is this will be a lifelong challenge.. We all like to sit and watch TV..I am especially addicted to a few shows..I have a challenge with grazing at work or reading and watching TV too..

I have a family and they do like the occasional snack foods.. so I really cant get rid of all of it.. all of the time..

Instead, I try to make homemade cookies every now and then.. I use swaps... like 1/2 spenda and Light smart balance but add lots of nutritional items like flaxseed, oats, wheat germ.. the family is none the wiser.. they still think.. these are the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies ever.

I think eating veggies and protein is much better than pure carbs..Heres the deal.. make sure you add it to your caloric budget.. you can work it in as a planned snack.

I often times watch TV at the gym.. nothing like walking on the treadmill and watching my favorite show ... I love the biggest loser, vampire diaries and all the housewife shows..my hubby hates them and I can****ch most of them with my son either ... at the gym no interruptions...plus the time flies.. you dont even realize you have walked so far in one session.. One day.. I walked 10 miles without realizing it..

I love nuts too..so instead of eating them by the handfuls .. I sprinkle them on my salads.. I now only buy sliced almonds and finely chopped pecans.  I also buy PB2.. powdered peanut flour.. I mix this in with my protein shake.. peanut butter shake.. yummers.. you can mix it with a little water and use it like a dip for a banana or dare I say pretzel.

I hope that helps..

Michelle

Day_dream_believer
on 11/26/11 11:53 pm
I think grazing is a big problem for many including myself.  I keep trigger foods out of the house.  I also make sure food is put in the cabinet in Tupperware containers.  It is really easy to grab a handful of nuts when my husband has left them out on the cabinet.  Make a list of healthy snack food and have them prepared so they are easy to grab. Hot drinks also seem to help me.  Make a protein hot chocolate or some hot tea.  Finally find something you can do with your hands.  I quilt and scrapbook.  There is no way I am going to risk spilling something on a quilt I have worked for weeks on. 

Carrie W.
on 11/27/11 2:31 am - KY
I've slipped back into grazing some too. I usually need something from Walmart so I'll head there after work on Friday. When I'm tired (and by Friday I am tired), I am much more likely to eat/buy things that aren't good for me. I've bought crackers and cheese the last few weeks. I finally just threw the crackers away.

I've also added a 4th meal to my day. I eat a protein shake for breakfast, lunch at work then I'll eat when I get home. I'm usually home by 4 or so. I then have to feed the horses and either go to class or walk on the treadmill. Either after class (9pm) or about 8 on not school nights, I'll have another meal. What I'm calling a meal is almost always 100% protein. I don't get much else except the occasional apple or veg or beans.

Besides the business keeping me from grazing, being full on protein helps a lot!! Can't graze when I'm already full.

I am one of the lucky ones though. The only high carb things I can tolerate are crackers and beans. Even the Go Lean cereal has too much sugar for me and causes mild dumping. Same thing for sf jello (the sugar alcohols make me sicker than sugar). I'll have a bite of dessert or bread but only a single bite and only after a regular, protein heavy meal. Otherwise it's BAD.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160