Questioning ourselves

mikjul1
on 12/3/11 12:14 pm - bel air, MD
So how many others asked them selves am I doing the right thing right before their surgery date mine is th 6th 3 days. I am sure everyone has thought of it. So nervious there might be Complications. My family kids stuff like that goes through my mined what if something happens. Well thought I would just say if any other is thinking that kind of stuff alone.
poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 12:22 pm - OH
Don't you think most people, if not all, ask themselves those questions?  I bet they do.

Personally, I thought about it and decided I was at greater risk for complications or something bad happening if I remained morbidly obese than if I had surgery.  But there are risks with any surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BWB
on 12/3/11 12:31 pm, edited 12/3/11 1:33 pm
 I thought about it as they were rolling me into the operating room.  I'm very happy that I didn't bail.  I don't remember anything until I woke up in my room hours later.  So you are not alone.  If your surgeon has all the right credentials then you will be fine and they have all the necessary equipment anyway.
I'll be watching for your post especially when you are 2 to 3 months out.  Your kids and wife will be so proud of you.

poet_kelly
on 12/4/11 3:44 am - OH
Picking a qualified surgeon is certainly important, but it does not guarantee no complications.  Some complications are not related to poor performance by the surgeon.  for instance, I got severe pneumonia after my RNY but nothing my surgeon did or did not do during my operation caused that.  Sometimes things just happen.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

K_Behr
on 12/3/11 12:42 pm
I had these same thoughts for months! I have 4 children..how could I leave them without a mother? 4 months ago I was diagnosed with uterine cancer and had a hysterectomy. There was no question about going under to get rid of it..yet it was just as dangerous! I questioned my family doc and my OB numerous times about this surgery and my surgeon (note the same surgeon did my gallbladder 12 years ago), and I know they thought I was crazy, but they just reassured me everytime. I basically had to weigh pros and cons. I was newly diagnosed with diabetes..I didn't want to live with that. I didn't want to sleep each night wondering if I would wake up the next morning. And honestly..they were wheeling me to the OR and I was still debating to call it off, up until they put me to sleep...lol! And though I'm only a few weeks out, I know I made the right decision. This will change my life..and my kids' life! Just follow what they tell you and everything will be fine!
dori M.
on 12/3/11 1:11 pm - MD
I starting asking myself that question in the days leading up to my surgery and to be honest I still ask myself if I did the right thing. The good news is that my surgery and recovery was uneventful YAY!!! As for my life after rny it remains to be seen how I will live/manage/cope with the changes and any possible adverse reactions. I guess it's no different than living with any life altering decision you make.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/3/11 1:23 pm, edited 12/3/11 1:23 am - OH
I did not question whether or not I was doing the right thing, because I knew that I was, and I was not even particularly scared UNTIL THE MORNING OF SURGERY. Then, however, I was very nervous. I actually burst into tears when my surgeon popped into the prep room!

Different people feel differently leading up to surgery, but many people worry about complications, especially if they have never had surgery before. (I had been through a number of surgeries so was not really worried about the surgery itself, just realizing that my life was about to change forever.). However you feel is valid.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BoomerSooner1
on 12/3/11 2:58 pm
 Mine is on the 12th and yes, I'm continually worrying about this. My emotions go up and down. I just keep researching as much as possible and keep busy with work, etc. Today was a good day. I'm lucky in that my wife is fully supportive. She knows there are serious risks to my health are much higher if I Don't have surgery. I'm hoping I will be at peace with my decision as they wheel me in for the big event.
 Don't ask me how we lost to Baylor.  I can't figure it Out either!            
TysCandi
on 12/3/11 3:46 pm
Is your congestion clearing up?

HW: 326  SW: 312  GW:140

EnviousOfAngels
on 12/3/11 3:31 pm
I think its normal. I am also having the freak out about going under. They had a hard time tubing me last time, so hopefully it goes better this time. Im 5 days out. You just have to remember the positives.

Most Active
Recent Topics