weight gain after surgery

way2kay
on 12/5/11 6:51 pm - Crosby, TX
had RNY on 11/22, two weeks ago...i was only in the hospital 1 day, when i got home & got on the scale, i weighed 15 lbs more than i did the morning of my surgery (approx 36 hrs before), more than i'd weighed in the two months before surgery...it took 4 or 5 days to be back to my surgery weight...i've lost 18 lbs since then, or 33 lbs total (if u count that 15 lbs gained)...i haven't seen my surgeon yet (he had to reschedule my post-op appt, i won't see him for another week), so although i've never heard of this befrore, has it happened to anyone else?  my husband & mother both think  should be proud of the fact that i've lost 33 pounds in 2 weeks, but to me, that means admitting i gained 15 lbs, or that i started heavier than i was...it's messing with my head a little bit...i'm just not sure how i feel about this, or whatnumbers i should be using...

Kay
RNY  11/22/11
pre-surgical weight: 334
current weight:  316
goal weight:  185
MultiMom
on 12/5/11 6:58 pm - NH
During surgery they pump you full of fluids! I came home from the hospital weighing about 11 pounds more than when I went in......NORMAL!

Personally I wouldn't count the fluid loss in my weight loss number, but you certainly can if you want to .

Congratulations on your success!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

littleskie
on 12/5/11 8:15 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I gained twenty pounds of fluid during my surgery. The first time I stepped on the scale I was devastated. No one warned me about the fluid gain, then when the nurses told me they said they had never heard of anyone gaining so much during one surgery tho. It was so depressing and miserable.

I count my weight lost from the first day I went to the dr. to get the ball rolling, as I had to do a three month diet to qualify. Then I had to lose more weight to get under four hundred to make the surgery safer.

I originally started at four fifty. I was three eighty three the day of surgery. The next day I was four oh three. It was devastating.

Now tho i'm down to 183. Huge change in my life.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 12/5/11 8:22 pm
I gained 20 lbs in the hospital.  It took me a week to lose it.  But I don't count it in my loss.  I count from the time I started my liquid diet until now.

Winnie

macjuicy
on 12/5/11 9:53 pm - FL
Same here its the fluid from that damn IV lol dont worry it will be gone really fast... Advice for newbie dont be a slave to your scale it will drive you bonkers!!!

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

Jess6580
on 12/5/11 10:05 pm, edited 12/5/11 10:05 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
I weighed 328 the day of surgery and I was in the hospital 2 days.  When I left the hospital I weighed 341, so I gained 13.  I had surgery last Friday and as of this morning I am back to 328.  It's just the fluids they pump us with!  Try not to let it get you down, I am documenting from my surgery weight, not the weight I gained in the hospital!  Congrats on your weight loss so far, that's exciting!!
  HW: 345  SW:329   CW: 226   *16lbs lost pre-op  103 post op so far!*          
dawnie55
on 12/6/11 2:00 am - Garden Grove, CA

I know what i weight in at the hospital but i didn't weigh myself when i got hm ...i know i was bloated ...
weighed in : 228
weighed myself of Saturday Dec.3  i weigh 218

way2kay
on 12/6/11 4:19 am - Crosby, TX
 thank everyone so much...i really was sooooo freaked out...i feel 100 times better...it also reassures me that i am counting my weight loss correctly...

18 lbs down, 131 to go!!
Most Active
Recent Topics