Calories AND Exercise - Starvation Mode??

Bama_Wifey
on 12/6/11 9:36 am - AL
Hi all!  I read an earlier post about calories.  But I have a few questions - or maybe I just need to talk it thru.  BUT, I am 2 months out and I have only lost about 5 pounds in the last 2 - 3 weeks.  Granted, I dont have that much to lose since I lost 81 pounds during my 6 month physician supervised diet prior to surgery.  However, I think I have figured out my problem but dont know what to do about it.  I spoke with my NUT last week and she said I needed to stay under 1000 per day.  She also said I should have no more than 60 carbs, 25 fat and at least 70 grams of protein per day.  I eat very healthy and have followed all the rules.  I track everything on myfitnesspal.com.  My problem is - I am only consuming 600 - 850 calories per day.  And I work out at the gym 3 - 4 days a week - usually burning somewhere between 300 - 400 calories on the elliptical.  Even though I am told to stay under or around 1000 calories per day, if I work out, I am burning off most of what I have consumed.  According to myfitnesspal.com, my body will probably go into starvation mode - which is why I think I am not losing.  I have tried to eat a little more, but I cant hold a lot and I dont want to eat foods high in fat, carbs, or sugar.  So, how do I increase my calories without eating too much?  And I dont want to stop working out.  I'm just not sure what I need to do differently. Below are my meals for today:

When I first get up - 14 oz decaf coffee w/ unflavored unjury and 1 TBSP sugar free powdered creamer
Breakfast-1/2 C low fat cottage cheese w/ 1 TBSP sugar free strawberry preserves (YUMMY)!!
Lunch - About 2 oz of shake n bake chicken breast and 1/3 cup of broccoli
AternoonSnack - Premiere protein shake (30 grams protein)
Dinner - 3/4 C Tuna salad made with light mayo, boiled egg, and shredded LF cheese

According to myfitnesspal, that is 614 calories, 31 carbs, 22 fats, and 80 proteins. 

Any advice???

HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
nicole T.
on 12/6/11 9:59 am
Omg I am in the same situation, I'm two months, and having a stall,I am also eating about 650-800, and then I feel like imma bust open, I wanna do whatever it takes to get the scale moving again, I also do the eliptical...so far I have lost 45lbz

Bama_Wifey
on 12/6/11 10:52 am - AL

45 pounds is awesome!!  You're ahead of me.  I think I have lost about 36 or so...I cant remember.  But anyway, maybe we will get this thing figured out!  Good luck to you!

HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
BWB
on 12/6/11 10:06 am
HI,
I'm sorta in your same spot only I've been out for 3 month & 1 week.  I started back at the gym  tonight and felt a little iffy when I got home.  I spent 200 calories on the bike, which isn't much but I was mainly warming up with plans to go every day.  So I'll be watching this post to see what opinions come in. Before going I did give myself 10 U of insulin because my glucose level was up a little.  It wasn't too much based on pre-op usage.

lilbear412
on 12/6/11 12:08 pm - MN
 You could just be in a stall too.  I did that at around that time for about 3 weeks.   Also...you could add another snack maybe and try eating some regular fat cheese?  I havent' really been exercising so i can't say i have this problem but when i work (which is usually 4 or so times a week) i am on my feet and walking (retail) and bending and all that so i am usually to tired and sore to go exercise.  I figure i probably burn all my calories in a day of work. lol   otherwise i don't know what to tell you.  i don't eat the yolk in my boiled egg only the egg white..I don't really take in any protein in shake mode anymore i try to get my protein from food.  i am up to about 800 calories a day..mostly less but sometimes more.   

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

MirandaD
on 12/6/11 1:18 pm - WA
I am interested in seeing what others say.  I am in a similar situation.  5 weeks out now, and only 1 pound lost in the past three weeks.  I think I am in starvation mode.  Was only getting 350-500 calories per day.  NUT said as you go from puree to soft, you should be gradually increasing to 800 per day.  I am experimenting now.  Starting yesterday, trying to get over 600 calories per day (difficult to do when you're not very hungry and you work 9 hours a day and don't have  a lot of time to eat!). Starting weight 244, surgery weight around 232 (two week preop diet), now 211.  Very frustrating. I also use myfitnesspal.
Miranda
Shelly S.
on 12/6/11 1:30 pm - Mason, MI
Bama Wifey,

You lost a lot of weight during the pre-op, so it might mean a slower loss for you now. You are working on the "hard lard" layers, lol.

When I was early out and exercising, I could jump start weight loss by changing my gym routine and adding calories with a cup of soy milk or regular milk.

The pounds will come off, keep up the good work!
Shelly Smith    
HW 326 SW 293 CW 180 GW 160        
Hillery82211
on 12/6/11 1:45 pm, edited 12/6/11 1:46 pm - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I'm a little over three months out and every day when I log my food and exercise into myfitnesspal it says I'm in starvation mode...EVERY SINGLE DAY.  And according to my NUT...that's correct.  We ARE in starvation mode....RNY is basically doctor assisted starvation.  The pouch helps us get full off of less food (so no hunger pains...well for most people) and the rerouting of the intestines helps us absorb only part of what we eat.  That's why we lose weight so fast.

I was told that I would be in starvation mode (which is essential you are expending WAY more calories than you are taking in****il I am pretty far out...probably for the first year to 18 months...which is right around the time that the malabsorption of calories ends.  At that point, your body will be absorbing most if not all of the calories you consume...and you will be able to consume MORE calories as you get farther out..so the weight-loss slows down.  That's why it gets harder to lose weight the farther out you are from surgery.  At that point...to keep the weight-loss going (if you need to lose weight) then you have to burn more calories and eat less (or the traditional "diet" formula).  For folks that are in maintenance at that point...calories in = calories out = steady weight.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 4:44 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
For heaven's sake, EAT SOMETHING!!! Your body needs fuel.

I know you've never heard that before, so please stop punishing
yourself. FOOD IS FUEL.

If you're afraid of gaining weight, don't be. Just add 200 calories a day and see what happens.

Best wishes,
Roxy28
on 12/6/11 8:16 pm
I am also 2 months out, today. Between weeks 4-7 I only lost 2 lbs. Then over the last 2-3 days I have dropped 6. I think our bodies have their own idea of when they want to lose.
Something else to think about is your muscles strengthen as a result of so diligently working out. Muscle weights more than fat, so I'm sure your measurements are still shrinking even if the scale does not show it.
I did have a kidney stone and was thinking the nausea and pain pills affected my progress. But looking back I am still down 40lbs since surgery and am very excited about that
HW: 284    SW:  259    RNY 10/12/2011         CW: 186