Still Stalled at 3 1/2 Weeks Post-Op

Nathan R.
on 12/10/11 7:18 am - CA
I had surgery on Nov 15th, and lost 25 pounds the first 2 weeks.  I haven't lost anything since then; in fact, this morning the scale said I gained 2 pounds this week.  I'm eating about 800 calories a day; I'm getting my protein and fluids; I'm walking almost every day; but, I can't understand why I haven't lost anything the past 1 1/2 weeks?!?!?!  And I understand that stalls happen, but did I really have to gain 2 pounds???

I'm heading into San Francisco with some friends this afternoon, so I'll be doing lots of walking.  Maybe that will help jump start things. 

Ok... thanks for letting me vent.

Nathan

_Donna_
on 12/10/11 7:22 am
Almost everyone stalls at the 3 week mark. It seems to be the place where your body has discovered it needs to shift gears and get used to the new way you are eating.
Have fun in SF and dont think about it. Don't forget to take a bottle of water with you.

RNY 5-5-2011

2Bfeather
on 12/10/11 8:07 am
I had my surgery on the 17th.  I lost 13 lbs from surgery date.  I have not moved on the scale also but actually also gained 2 1/2 lbs.  I am also walking and doing the water things.  When I asked others they also said that this is common and that our body has gone into shock from starving it and that it will start to move.  They also told me to put the scales away and not worry about it and just get healing.  I hit a panic stage thinking what have I done.  But everyone reassures me that I will start to lose again soon.
Hope you had fun today and don't exhaust yourself.  Take care of yourself - that is the most important thing.
D
Lisa R.
on 12/10/11 10:44 am - CA
 Don't worry about calories,  just make sure to get your liquid and protein requirements in.  Also, eat, eat, eat!  Every 2 hours, eat!  Don't skip meals, make sure you are eating.  If you are not eating enough it is as bad as eating too much.  I eat every 2 hours and I am 8 pounds from goal.  I feel  like I am eating all the time.  I don't count calories at this point, just make sure that as often as possible I make the best food choices.  Protein first and only about 4 to 6 ounces at a time.

Good luck.  Trust me, it will come off.  FAST.  You won't be able to keep up with it.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Diminishing Dawn
on 12/10/11 11:50 am - Windsor, Canada
A stall at 3-7 weeks out is normal as the body switches sources of fuel from glycogen to stored fat . It is a good thing!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

LivinTheDream
on 12/10/11 12:18 pm
I'm in the same place you are Nathan...just a few days farther along.  I had mine on the 10th of November.  Just within the past 2 days has the scale started to move again.  I went a week and a half with nothing. 

As for eating every 2 hours or so, that's what I feel I have to do.  If I don't, I start to feel very sick.  So, I have a small meal of protein rich food every few hours.
HW: 360  SW: 333

Most Active
Recent Topics