Overwhelmed and Scared

Vargsgirl
on 12/11/11 12:25 am - (Upper) Bucks County, PA
RNY on 01/18/12
My surgery is scheduled for January 18th and I'm currently in the midst of my pre-op appointments with various doctors.  Had a visit with the cardiologist for clearance last week and he'd like to have me do a stress test (since I have diabetes).  Is this a normal request? I didn't think to ask at the time but now I've got a nagging concern something was noticed on my EKG.  

poet_kelly
on 12/11/11 12:28 am - OH
Some docs recommend all preops do a stress test, so yeah, it's a normal request.  But if you think there may have been something on your EKG, why not call the doc tomorrow and ask?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 12:34 am - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

it was part of my requirements from my insurance and my surgeons team for approval :)

Vargsgirl
on 12/11/11 12:45 am - (Upper) Bucks County, PA
RNY on 01/18/12
I feel better knowing that - I'm still going to give the office a call tomorow just to put my mind at ease.  I think I just worry that after all of this I'll hit a roadblock.  Regardless of results I'll be happy to have it done.  My family has a very ugly history of heart disease.  I'd rather find out now than later if there is an issue.  

Now my next question - if I fail....then what?
poet_kelly
on 12/11/11 1:14 am - OH
If the stress test indicates a problem, the doc might order additional tests.  And he might recommend some sort of treatment, depending on  what the problem is.  Depending on what it is, it might not interfere with surgery.

don't get too caught up worrying about stuff that may not even happen, though.  Take things one step at a time.  Call the office tomorrow and you may find the EKG was totally normal.  Given your family history, that may be why they wanted the stress test.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Liz J.
on 12/11/11 12:45 am - Woonsocket, RI
I had to do a stress test too. No biggie.
Lisa R.
on 12/11/11 1:06 am - CA
 Totally normal.  I had one too.  It was a constant stream of tests and labs.  But it's good cause you want you doctor to know your body really well before he goes in there and reroutes the majority of it.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
nfarris79
on 12/11/11 1:18 am - Germantown, MD
 Don't worry too much about the pass/fail terms; "fail" would only be if you drop out & do nothing. If something comes up on your EKG or stress test, then you get it treated and keep going forward in a healthy way. 
Stress test is very normal in getting cardiac clearance. I had no cardiac history nor diabetes preop and had to have a 24hr monitor and stress test and EKGs with the cardiologist. You always have the right to be informed on your results and I encourage others to ask for results/copies for your own records. It's incredibly reassuring to be on the up-and-up on your own health!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Bama_Wifey
on 12/11/11 1:42 am - AL
Same thing happened to me.  My EKG showed "abnormal" results.  So, I had to have a stress test.  I was so afraid something was wrong because there is a family history of heart disease and I have an irregular heartbeat anyway.  However, everything was fine and I had my surgery on time.  I know its easier said than done, but try not to worry about it.  Good luck with your surgery!!
HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 12/11/11 6:26 am
It's normal for some docs or hospitals to want an EKG on file. Especially if you have a chronic illness like diabetes. They're just being careful. Good luck on the 18th = this is an amazing ride!
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
Most Active