Is there good restriction with RNY?

Hzleydgal
on 12/13/11 1:44 pm
I am looking at doing a revision from Lap Band to RNY and I'm wondering if those of you that have had RNY feel the restriction in your pouch or do you mostly rely on the malabsorption aspect of the surgery??

Thank you for sharing any experience!
Hazel
missjann
on 12/13/11 1:55 pm
Since my pouch started out roughly the size of a golf ball I was told, there
is definitely restriction besides malabsorption.  That's the point of the rny.
The stomach is disconnected and a small pouch is formed from a part
of the stomach. It's quite small so there's no getting around restriction.
Talking to friends that have the lap band, I don't think I feel "restriction"
like they do, but I started out being able to drink only 2 ounces at a time.
I graduated up and can eat about a cup of food now at a year out.
If I overeat, there is intense discomfort and I would vomit, so clearly
I don't do that.
    Jan

Samantha L.
on 12/13/11 5:05 pm, edited 12/13/11 5:05 pm - Petaluma, CA
 Since the caloric malabsorption goes away eventually, the restriction is what it's really all about.  The malabsorption helps with the initial weight loss.  It's fairly rapid. I lost 27 lbs in the first 9 days.. then nothing until day 27.  Stalls happen.  I am almost 18 months out and have lost a total of 155 lbs.  =]  I am now in maintenance and so far (knock on wood) I have been able to hold steady despite the fact that my malabsorption is probably just about gone.  

T. Deeds
on 12/13/11 10:08 pm
Umm, there is DEFINITELY a huge a amount of restriction with the bypass.  For example, before the surgery, I could eat an entire pizza.  Now, I eat one slice and feel very full.  One thing that the bypass offers, that the band doesn't, is hunger supression.  I haven't felt real hunger since my surgery more than 6 months ago.  This has been a huge factor in controlling my eating.  I wish the doctors emphasized this aspect of the surgery more. 

Kim S.
on 12/13/11 10:24 pm - Helena, AL
I am a bit over 2 and 1/2 years out.  I still have very good restiction.  At this point most of the malabsorption of calories is gone.  I also never feel the mind numbing hunger I always felt before surgery.  I get hungry, but I suspect it is what "normal" people get.  Before surgery my hunger pangs were horrid.

Hzleydgal
on 12/13/11 11:43 pm
Thank you all for the information! Unfortunately, I can eat WAY too much with the lap band and was just looking to see what the restriction was like with RNY. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before I make the decision. The OH website is filled with fantastic folks that give experience. Thanks again!
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 12/14/11 2:38 am
I had rny 10 yrs ago and I rely on eyeballing my food so as not to over fill my pouch. I feel full if I do eat more than I should but my doc said by one year out and forever after that to do a cup to a cup and a quarter per meal and that's what I stick with. I could probably eat more, and over the years I could have stretched out my pouch, but I've been really careful not to do that - and at this far out the restriction is still there. I can do a cup of yogurt and then I'm full. I can do more soup than steak, but I still do 3-4 ounces per meal and less if I feel any pressure or signal that I'm full.
The surgery is a tool - the rny is in place to help us regulate our portions. We can't rely on the surgery to do it for us and as for malabsorbtion-it's pretty much gone after the second year. Our bodies are very resiliant and adapt and get around the malabsorbtion. Villa grow back, our digestive system gets more efficient at processing what we do take in and my surgeon said not to count on malabsorbtion for calories after the first 18-24 months. That's why it's so important for us to use the first year as a learning time to readjust our eating habits and ideas about food. Many of us can regain quickly one our systems are able to handle more food and do it more efficiently than in the past. The restriction of the Band, RNY or sleeve or whatever is primarily up to us and how well we measure and don't overfill our new pouch. In other words, the surgery is a tool only - we can use it to our advantage but ultimately our success long term is up to us.
Jen 10 yrs post op-RNY
Tammy *.
on 12/14/11 4:46 am
I just had my lap band removed and had RNY the day before Thanksgiving. Feeling full with RNY is NOTHING like feeling full with the lap band. It's a completely different kind of full (for me).

With the band, it was like you finally shoved a cork in your stomach and couldn't go past it. With the RNY, I actually can eat until I have had enough, and then my pouch says, Yep! You're full!  Then my nose starts to run or I start to hiccup. I never had that happen with the lap band.

Let me know if you have questions about the revision! I couldn't be happier!
cathychatts
on 12/14/11 8:18 am - Kingsport, TN, TN
 I also had RNY, on the 22nd of Nov. revision from Realize band. The band experience was a nightmare. I have be doing great with the bypass! wish I had gone this way first instead of suffering for 2 1/2 years. Good luck to you!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views