sore tongue

sadielee
on 12/13/11 9:33 am
My tongue is sore and I have heard that it could be from a vit defiency.  Can vitalady help me here or does some one else know?
I'm 5 months post/op and I know I'm a little lax about taking all my meds
Sharyn S.
on 12/13/11 9:51 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
B12

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Liz J.
on 12/13/11 10:17 am - Woonsocket, RI
hope2beskinnyB
on 12/13/11 10:19 am - NC
I was just reading about this and I read it was either protein def, or iron def.  Look up "symptoms of iron def" online.
hope2beskinnyB
on 12/13/11 10:25 am - NC
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000584.htm

It was iron deficiency....  Call your MD to let them know what to take to get it back up.
sadielee
on 12/13/11 10:26 am
I take a B12 shot every month. (one vial) Should I be taking more? The B1 I skip at times. Just hate the after taste. I don't take any other B vit and I'm pretty good about taking my regular vit twice a day. I have trouble getting all my calcium in. Thanks for your reply.
avivaps
on 12/13/11 7:49 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
I would check your iron levels too, not just ferritin (which can be falsely elevated for other reasons).  I wouldn't ignore this but be aggressive with following it up with your PCP.  You don't want to run into other problems before you do something about it.

Just be aware, there are other things that can give a sore tongue besides vitamin deficiencies like thrush (yeast) infection in the mouth.

Definitely worth following up.

Andrea.
jemof2
on 12/13/11 11:50 pm - Shreveport, LA
I also had what I had read described as 'burning mouth' syndrome.  Basically, my tongue was VERY sensitive to foods....salt, spice, pretty much anything.  I found out months later I was severely anemic and ended up passing out in the hospital after a doctors appt for something unrelated.  I ended up being admitted and having to have 2 units of blood and an iron infusion.  Please go get your labs checked. 
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

fernfrog
on 3/4/12 2:26 am - CA

I'm definitely iron deficient with a horrible ice chewing habit as well. I used to practically drink buffalo wing sauce, love my spicy foods, now I can't even eat ketchup or salsa of any kind. It is so sad for me because I always reach for the spicy foods only to take one bite and be in misery after.

I'm trying to get my iron up, and hoping for a change. None of my doctors have related this mouth sensitivity to iron deficiency which is annoying-- but it happened around the same time as my crazy ice cravings started and it is pretty obvious to me its related. I have my labs and I am anemic and trying to get better with taking my iron.

I also read somewhere that taking folic acid may help. I take a Super B everyday so I guess I'll pop one of those as well....

Good luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics