I'm starving....this sucks

Lisa R.
on 12/15/11 2:39 am - CA
I'm having knee surgery, nothing too major, at 1:45 today.  Leaving for the surgery center in about an hour.  Of course I 'm not allowed to eat or DRINK anything since midnight. 

Since I've had surgery (RNY) I have drank constantly (except when I am sleeping) I see a drink I pick it up and drink it.  I also eat every 3 hours at least.  This is really strange, and I am really hungry!  LOL To make it worse I had to go to the food store to stock up and then make food to eat after surgery since I can't be up for the first 3 days.  I was cooking food that I so wanted to eat!  

It's such a huge habit to pick up the water bottle, and right now I can't.  I'm nervous but also excited.  Excited to get home from this and DRINK something and have a bite to eat.  Oh why couldn't I have been the first surgery of the day?  And not the last...doesn't he know this is super hard for me!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Cherylkas
on 12/15/11 2:47 am - PA
 Hoping all goes well with your surgery. I am not sure if I could have done the shopping and cooking while I had to fast. That is asking to much..lol

Let us know when you can how you are doing!
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

lilbear412
on 12/15/11 5:06 am - MN
 Hope all goes well for you..if there is ever a need for surgery again, do the shopping the day before you have to starve yourself...but i am sure you know that now..lol  j/k  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/15/11 11:53 am - OH
I always explain about my hypoglycemia and RNY (and the issue of not eating for an extended period of time) and ask to be done early in the morning.  Sometimes it means having to take a date a week or so later, but it is worth it.  There is no reason,unless it is emergency surgery, that you should not have input into when you are put on the schedule (although some surgeons may act a bit "put out" by having to actually CONSIDER the patient's needs...)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lisa R.
on 12/15/11 12:45 pm - CA
 Well, in this case I was sort of at their mercy.  Since it is knee surgery I need a very specific time to recover.  I am a teacher and with Christmas break that would be the perfect amount of time and I would not need to miss work.  If I waited another week I would end up having to take time off and I didn't want to do that.

Being a teacher is the greatest thing in the world, but when it comes to missing school it is so much more of a pain in the butt to miss then to try and do whatever possible to just be there.  I guess the no eating and drinking was the lesser of the 2 evils for me.

but, in future, if possible, YES, I will hold out for the early surgery.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
seattledeb
on 12/15/11 5:39 pm
 It's harder to do prolonged periods of NPO after Rny surgery. I got a call to be a back up receipant for  a kidney transplant and had to stay NPO for about 10 hours. It was really rough. I chewed a lot of gum.
I hope your new knee works great.

Most Active
Recent Topics