Question about cheese!!!???

jemof2
on 12/21/11 11:43 pm - Shreveport, LA
I seem to have absolutely no problem with "real" cheese (meaning shredded cheddar or colby, etc and cheese in block form).  However, I've come to notice that anytime I have those "processed cheese food" pre-wrapped slices I basically dump.  I get stomach cramping and have to go to the bathroom immediately!!

Today, it happened because I ordered a breakfast taco from a little place near work.  Typically they have just a little shredded cheese in them.  Today, they must have run out because I noticed it looked like they had used the pre-wrapped stuff.  About 15 minutes later the cramping and bathroom run hit.

Has anyone else experienced this??
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/21/11 11:51 pm - Baltimore, MD
Might be the kind of fat used in the processed stuff. I know certain types of fat make me ill and certain types (namely the "unfooled around with by man") don't.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

jemof2
on 12/21/11 11:57 pm - Shreveport, LA
Maybe so.  I hate the name "processed cheese food"....makes me think there's no actual cheese, but just cheese flavor in there LOL 
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/21/11 11:58 pm - Baltimore, MD
This is why I only buy cheese from Trader Joe's. If it doesn't say "cheese" I don't eat it!!!

I think they call it that because it is predominantly oil. But one good way to find out the merit of your cheese, leave it out on the counter a while. If it gets soft, it is real cheese. If it turns into a coaster...RUN!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

jemof2
on 12/22/11 12:26 am - Shreveport, LA
Great test!  Thanks!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/13 9:33 pm

Hey Jemof2; I have the same problem.  I only purchase real cheese at home, like Borden's and Sargento's, singles, shredded, and block real cheese.  Recently, I tried a processed block cheese for a queso recipe I wanted to try out and it was great for my husband but I had diarrhea the next day and thought maybe it was the cheese, but I wasn't sure.  So, I tried it again, a little on some nachos and had bad stomach cramps and diarrhea for a while.  So, I confirmed it was the processed cheese.  BUT, I thought it was only that brand...Not so, I went to a buffet with my mom to treat her the other day and today the stomach cramps and diarrhea are back; I had macoroni and cheese and the cheese for melted broccoli...The conclusion; my body now only likes the real stuff and hates processed cheese!  I guess that's really a good thing!