gained weight

way2kay
on 12/21/11 4:50 pm - Crosby, TX
had my surgery 4 weeks ago...went to the surgeon last week, & i had lost a little over 30 lbs...woohoo!

i've had a rough week...i have neuropathy from diabetes & my oral meds aren't absorbing correctly, so i ended up in the e.r. in so much pain i couldn't stop crying...i've also had a hard time eating, i'm throwing up every morning it seems (i can't seem to get food intoi my pouch...it sits in the bottom of my esophagus until i can throw it up, it sucks...)  i haven't been very active this week (i've been on lortab elixer for pain), but i also haven't eaten very much & i have gained 5.5 lbs!!!  i'm freaking out...i don't know how i've managed to gain so much...the only food i'm getting down seems to be sugar free popsicles & nutrisystem meals my mother in law donated to me cuz she didn't like them...so i know i am staying within my guidelines for portions, fat, protein, etc...

any ideas?  please, any help would be appreciated...
Kay

Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another "What! You too?  I thought I was the only one!!"           - C.S. Lewis    
Jess6580
on 12/21/11 4:56 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
Hang in there!  Did you get IV's at all in the ER?  That can cause weight gain...  but try not to panic, I know it's hard.  My scale has been so all over the place this week that I finally had my fiance lock it up.  And I'm not kidding.  I had a great first 2 weeks, down 17lbs...the last time I weighed this week I was up 2lbs and the MOST calories I have eaten in a day is 950 and I walk 2 miles a day too... our bodies are adjusting and it will figure it all out.  I'm sorry you're having a rough time, but it will get better.  We had fairly close surgery dates, so I know I'm probably not much help, but you'll look back on this in a few months and it will seem like NOTHING!  That's what I'm looking forward to.  I'm here for you, message me, add me as a friend, if you'd like, and the rest of us are here for you too.  Just try to keep your chin up and before you know it you will be melting the pounds off.  We both will!!  Take care, and goodluck!
  HW: 345  SW:329   CW: 226   *16lbs lost pre-op  103 post op so far!*          
way2kay
on 12/21/11 5:09 pm - Crosby, TX
i'm trying really hard to remain upbeat...i haven't been the most sane person over the last few weeks...i think my hubby is ready to kick me to the curb...i know this journey is a roller coaster ride, & i'm barely out the gate...i just worry so much about stretching my pouch, or eating the wrong things, & gaining this week hasn't helped...thank goodness i have a support group meeting to go to next month, i desperately need it...but i'm beginning to think i'm needing a psychologist too...i may be a little more crazy than a support group can handle...lol
Kay

Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another "What! You too?  I thought I was the only one!!"           - C.S. Lewis    
dasie
on 12/21/11 6:18 pm

HI...sorry you are having a rough time.  As for eating in the morning - unless you suspect a stricture or something like that, eating in the morning was always most difficult for me.  To this day, food does not sit well first meal in the morning.  I learned early on my day had to start with a protein shake or yogurt; everthing else made me feel ill.  I am 25 months post op, and my only meal for breakfast, even now, is yogurt.  I'll occassionally eat toast or eggs, but I invariably feel nauseated later.

As for the weight gain, your body is adjusting.  I know it sounds counterintuitive, but with what you described, you are eating so little.  Make sure you get in your liquids and protein.  I always considered these pop ups not  "real" gain when I knew I was eataing according to plan and staying within my guidelines.  I live down the road from you.  Blessings

littleskie
on 12/21/11 7:21 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
You will start losing again. This is something that we all go thru. You lose for a bit, then you stop. You body is adjusting to all the new things its going thru I think. Then you will start losing again.

One think i'd avoid are those frozen dinners. They are all high in carbs. I'd try to stay away from carbs during my honeymoon period. It's difficult cause they are usually what goes down easier and stays down better but they will not help you.

Right now you should stick with protein and if you have room, which I didn't eat veggies.

I'm more than two years out and I still eat a yogurt for breakfast. I've even learned how to make it myself in my crockpot. That way it's cheaper and I can make it the consistency I like.

Make sure you are drinking protein shakes. You need all the protein you can get.

Most of all follow your doctors advice and guidelines. If you see a nutritionist she may also give you advice.

I also suggest you research everything.

Good luck!

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Evelyn3131
on 12/21/11 8:53 pm - Burlington, NC

Littleskie,

Can you give me the crockpot recipe for yogurt.  I would love to try it!

Evelyn

Surgery Date 6/30/2011          
Price S.
on 12/21/11 8:01 pm - Mills River, NC
Did you get scoped to see if you have a stricture?  Sounds like one if you can't get food into your pouch.  Don't worry about the weight.  The pain killers slow your whole system and you probably are full of poo.  Are you on miralax or benefiber or something to help with constapation? 

Sorry you are having all these problems.  Lets hope it gets straighened out before everything closed down for the holidays.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Michelle E.
on 12/22/11 10:26 am
Water weight.. at this stage.. impossible to gain fat...Relax.. trust me
way2kay
on 12/27/11 5:54 am - Crosby, TX
 well, went out of state for the holidays, & spent most of my time in bed...i've been throwing up any solid foods i try to eat since thursday...i have an appt w/ my surgeon tomorrow to see if we can figure out what s causing me to throw up...i can get soymilk w/ protein powder down if i go very slow (like almost 2 hrs) & sugar free popsicles...i did lose that weight (thank goodness) but i am so hungry, & so tired...i hope we get this resolved, i was doing great tolerating most foods until last week...

on another note, even though i'm still in some serious pain, i'm not as depressed as i was going into the holidays...so yay!?!?!?!
Kay

Most Active
Recent Topics