Wine?

mikjul1
on 12/22/11 2:10 pm - bel air, MD
Ok just wondering is there a wine out there for us? Before surgery I always had a glass of wine on the weekends I am sure the sugar is high in them but I always like the semi sweets ones not dry. Just wondering I am only 3 weeks out so I am not going to dare try any now but maybe in future if I can if not oh well no harm done.
Barb H.
on 12/22/11 5:03 pm - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Good question, but I've been told that at least for the first year, all alcohol should be avoided. We metabolize way differently than before.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Monica M.
on 12/22/11 7:12 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
they advise that for the first year you should avoid alcohol. Your liver is doing an awful lot of work just processing all that fat that's moving out of your body. Also, its empty calories you really dont need.

That being said, i started wine about 7 months out, i have a glass or two a week. Dry white wine. No problems at all

hellokittycrazee
on 12/22/11 7:25 pm - NJ

I like semi sweet wine also, and will occasionally have a half a glass with no problem.  More than a half a glass totally wrecks me.  Found that out the hard way at a wine tasting where I didn't realize how much I was drinking because it was in small increments.  No harm done, but I was apparently very amusing lol.

Meg

losing-jennifer
on 12/22/11 7:53 pm
I've had semi sweet and dry with no problems. Dessert wines like Moscato I haven't dared to try.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

jstigall
on 12/22/11 9:54 pm - Hilliard, OH
my sister drinks wine she is 4 or 5 years out not sure when she started but about three glasses makes her act like she drank 3 cases of beer. and she was a heavy drinker before so be careful cause it will hit you hard. I have switched from beer to whiskey as I don't like wine. I am 6 months out and been drinking since 4months not alot but maybe 10 drinks over the last 2 months

bowknot
on 12/22/11 11:12 pm
I have an occasional glass of wine.  I was not a big drinker before WLS.  The alcohol in any drink goes to my head quickly.  I always have DH there to drive. I feel like it takes me longer to metabolize alcohol post-op than it did pre-op.

I don't have a problem with dumping, but I just don't like the way sugar makes me feel after I eat it.   I had a huge sweet tooth before surgery.  Thankful surgery has helped me curb it significantly. I hate dry wines.  I've been able to drink semi-sweet and even dessert wines without a problem.  I waited until I was 9 months out before I tried alcohol.  I used to really enjoy the sweet wines, but I stick to the semi-sweet these days and usually only one glass.   

For me, I can live with a taste of a dessert or one glass of wine and be satisfied. 

Kay
Laura in Texas
on 12/22/11 11:43 pm
I love a good glass of wine. I did not start back up until I was a year post op, but now I'm 3 years out and a glass or two does not affect me any differently than it did pre-op.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

M M
on 12/23/11 12:53 am
 Absolutely, positively NOT NOW.

You must wait. 

You are healing for major surgery.

Check back in December 2012.
mikjul1
on 12/23/11 1:50 am - bel air, MD
Thanks all.