~~~Concerned~~~

Nikia S.
on 12/28/11 10:45 pm - Garland, TX
My family outings revolve mostly around enjoying eating out and trying new places. We will travel a pretty good distance to eat something we are craving. I am concerned that when I have surgery this is going to affect our normal routine and enjoyment. My hubby made a comment the other day when I asked him about post surgery eating. He said "what is the point in going out to eat if all you are going to do is eat the chips" (this was in reference to our favorite mexican resturaunt). I know this journey is about me and my health but I do want to enjoy our normal lifestyle too. I am a little stressed out. Any suggestions?

Nikia S. ~~My not yet is way better than my right now~~
HW-339 Preop-331 SW-313

rayjack12
on 12/28/11 10:52 pm
Eventually you will be able to enjoy some of your favorite things.  Just not as much and you may be sensitive to something here or there.  I'm a year out and I can eat pretty much anything.  But most of the time I split things with my youngest son or take things home with me.
Nikia S.
on 12/28/11 11:03 pm - Garland, TX
That is good to know.

HW-339 Preop-331 SW-313

badkitten
on 12/28/11 11:08 pm
honestly I have to say that my family did/does a lot of eating out and I just split with whomever.....I feel so incredible now with the weight loss that the eating is not as important as it used to be and I am still enjoying the time with my hub and kid! things will be different and it is scary not only for you but also for those around you....but it is so worth it in the long run. And you friends and family will adjust along with you!!

newbie38
on 12/28/11 11:12 pm
I am only 6 weeks post op and I can say it definately effected our eating out time...but now I just sit and sip on an ice tea or water....I hope in time that I will be able to atleast try a bite or two of their meals.  It is an adjustment but I know in the end it is much better for me to do this and be healthy then to enjoy eating out.  We can find other ways to enjoy each other rather then over food!  I have only lost 40lbs so far and people are starting to notice..that in itself feels much better then any food I could eat!!! 
Nikia S.
on 12/28/11 11:16 pm - Garland, TX
It is good to hear from people who have a similar problem and I know it will be worth it in the end.

HW-339 Preop-331 SW-313

WoodsonArcher
on 12/28/11 11:21 pm - TX
If you dont change your eating habits, why bother with the surgery. Let's face it, we are here because we are fat. We are fat because we eat too much. I think I have to change my lifestyle to get a different result. I was on a 2-week liquid diet on thanksgiving, so I went fishing. At Christmas, i ate fat free/sugar free banana pudding and a small amount of green bean casserole. I drink protein shakes for lunch versus going to a restaurant and we havent eaten out since my surgery. If your family is like mine, you have always celebrated with food. I refuse to continue this tradition. They can go to the restaurant for a birthday, i will see them afterward. They can eat all the unhealthy things at Christmas, I will eat a better meal and will live to tell about it.  I don't mind improving my health at all.

Laura in Texas
on 12/28/11 11:46 pm
You decide what you eat or do not eat at a restaurant. And most have healthy choices. I refuse to miss out on time with my family. I eat at restaurants regularly while maintaining my 200 pound loss. It can be done.

I usually eat half a meal and take the other half home. Or I share with my kids.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Nikia S.
on 12/28/11 11:32 pm - Garland, TX
You are very right. What suggestions do you have as my husband brings me lunch (fast food) at work daily?

HW-339 Preop-331 SW-313

poet_kelly
on 12/29/11 12:35 am - OH
How nice that he brings you lunch.  Just give him a list of healthy items that he can bring.  It could even be something like Wendy's chili or a salad from a fast food place (jus****ch the fat and calories in the dressing).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics