2wk postup-Terrible burning feeling on left side

carolina_girl69
on 12/30/11 8:21 am - NC
RNY on 07/12/12
Hi everyone My sister had gastric(rny) 2weeks ago and shes having this terrible burning feeling on that left side.Could someone please give me some advice for her.I told her that ive been lurking around here for several months and u get good advice here.Im also in the process of having the surgery also Im lookin at maybe sometimes in Feb or March.I have 1 more appt with my PCP and ill be done.So im kinda excited just a little scared about that pain everyone be talking about and on top of that I never had surgey before.
qwrkygrrl
on 12/30/11 8:39 am - NC
I had a really hard time with pain that was just to the left of my belly button. I described it as a searing hot knife cutting through me. I'm not sure if mine was in the same place as your sister's, but if it is I certainly feel for her.

I had to keep taking my post-op pain med (Lortab) for a while since the pain was so intense. A heating pad helped some, too. I was told that the muscle and some nerves are cut in that area to get the stapler in, and the surgeon makes internal sutures that can pull when you move a certain way... or even just breathe. That's what causes the intense pain.

I hope your sister can find some relief. I'd suggest that she mention it to her surgeon and ask to be put back on her pain med (or get a refill) if it persists and/or interferes with her ability to function. That will mean postponing certain activities like driving, but mine was hurting so bad I wasn't driving anywhere anyway!

Just know that it does get better. Mine took about 5 weeks, which was how long others on the board had told me it would last. Wish I had better advice! Tell her to hang in there! It's soooo worth it!

Zombie
on 12/30/11 9:31 am
The previous poster is correct, it's nerves and muscle tissue and the pain will subside in a couple of weeks if that. I also agree that Liquid Lortab is a really good painkiller. Good luck.

~Paul~

Angie H.
on 12/30/11 9:31 am - TN
I had this pain... My doc said it ws where the "old" stomach was stitched to a muscle. He said it would go away in about 3 weeks. And it did. It was pretty tough though until it did. It seemed to be MUCH worse when I needed to go to the bathroom. (The sitting down on the toilet and getting up.... OUCH!! That was the worst!!) At one point I even peed in the shower - standing up. I know - TMI, but hey it worked. You just do what you have to do. ;-)

Good Luck!! Hang in there!!! It DOES get much better!!!

aesposito
on 12/30/11 9:43 am
I had that too, it went away in about 3 weeks.  Especially hurt when getting up, bending, sneezing, etc. 

Meanwhile, I found that holding the area tightly with my hand or forearm while getting up, bending over, etc. really helped a lot.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Darcy S.
on 12/30/11 10:54 am - Clinton, CT
Thanks for asking that question. I am 11 days out and have been wondering the same thing. I laughed so hard with my kids playing glee kareoki and my left side where the biggest incision was made hurts more than the day before.

Thanks again...This site is amazing!!!
mama3
on 12/30/11 11:40 am
I am 1 month out and I had that terrible burning pain on the bottom left side. The pain went away 2 days ago. Hope she feels better.

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 6:25 pm
same here and im almost three weeks post op.. they pain is horrible but its getting better, just give it 4 to 5 weeks if it gets worse instead of better just go into the E.R just as a precaution, i did.. they did a cat scan, gave me more pain meds and sent me home... im giving it an other 2 weeks and if it doesnt get better im going to my surgeron  and asking to have more testes done, hey as long as i have insurance i might as well use it .. best of luck to you and your sister..
Stacy11
on 12/30/11 11:30 pm
I had that same pain for weeks after surgey- everyone thought i was nuts..Nothing helped pain.. but trust me it does go away just take it easy it hurt to get off toliet and get in bed once i was there it was fine but yes it burns like the dickens!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics