laproscopic surgery and one left side incision holds all the pain

Darcy S.
on 12/30/11 11:37 am - Clinton, CT
I had my surgery Laproscopically (msp) on 12/20.  I have 5 incisions, four of which never had hurt.  My main (I'm assuming) is much larger, was very swollen and is healing although It is causing a lot of pain. 

I went off my pain killers to help with bowel movements but today I have had to take another pain killer.  Why is this left side incision so painful.  It feels like it's bruised but gives shooting pains if I move incorrectly. 

Also I haven't had any issues drinking my water or protein shakes at all.  So I don't think its a full pouch.  Actually wondering why I don't even notice my pouch when drinking....

Thanks!!!!!
boilerbabe003
on 12/30/11 12:18 pm
I had the same experience with my surgery in August.  There was one incision on the left side that is larger than the others and hurt like heck for a long time.  I ended up going back to the surgeon earlier than my 2 week appt and was told that this is the spot where the actual tool was inserted (rather than the camera, etc) and so he was doing all of the moving about from that spot and that it was common for it to hurt a lot more than the others.  The pain did eventually go away, but it took almost 4 full weeks.  If you are worried, I would always suggest that you should go see your surgeon, but it does not sound like it's a problem.

Good luck to you!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 1:12 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Yep, that's the camera and instrument port.  It hurts.  Use your pain meds, that is what they are for.  You don't get any medals for NOT taking them.

cabin111
on 12/30/11 1:21 pm
Usually it's the one just above the bellybutton...Again, where they put the camera...
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 6:04 pm
YUP... left side insicion is the worst. thats where all the pain is.. my other insicions did not hurt only the left side im almost three weeks out and it still hurts(had mine 12/12/11) but way less then it did a week ago.. i tried sleeping on my left side and that was a big mistake so i dont recommended  just give it an other 2 weeks, but if your truly concerned then go ahead and make an appt with your dr.. i my self had to go to the E.R. because it was the insicions that was hurting the most and i was super concerned they did a CAT scan and said everything was fine gave me some pain med and sent me home... now if it gets worse defenently go to the E.R or set up an appt with your dr... best of luck to you!
Darcy S.
on 12/30/11 9:52 pm - Clinton, CT
Thanks so much to all of you. It's good to know what others experienced. Do any of you not notice your pouch...seems like I can drink as much as I want...although I'm not trying to push that..I am following the plan. I'm grateful that I'm not throwing up etc just wondering if not noticing is normal too or is my pouch just bigger than those I read having a hard time getting in their shakes etc.

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

Tim T.
on 12/30/11 10:46 pm - Eastham, MA
Liquids should pass through your pouch and stoma (the opening created that connects the pouch to the small intestine) relatively easy.  Early after surgery things are still healing and if you gulp liquids you may experience some discomfort. Protein shakes are typically a bit more dense than jus****er and may back up in the pouch like solid food. That's why it's so important to not drink during or after you meals for a bit as it will cause whatever you have just eaten to slide out of the pouch with the liquid and you will feel hungrier faster, therefore may have a tendency to consume more than you really need.

Tim T.

froggylegs
on 12/30/11 9:55 pm - MI
I also have had lingering pain and discomfort from the incision on the left.  The NP said that's where they did most of the work and also that's where my drain was too.  When she took the drain out a week after surgery, she said I will still feel some pain/discomfort on the left side over the next several weeks because there were two stitches deep inside me.  Not really what I wanted to hear but explains why I still have pain. 
Darcy S.
on 12/30/11 11:18 pm - Clinton, CT
Why did you have a drain?
losing-jennifer
on 12/31/11 12:22 am
Yup, left side where the camera was..that hurt for a long time. My surgeon warned me too. I thin****il I was 6 weeks post op. Mostly felt it when I was moving in and out of the car. Ouchie! It will go away.
Most Active
Recent Topics