Tylenol does not work for me what do I do?

wvugal89
on 1/5/12 7:10 am - MD
I was an alleve girl and now am relegated to tylenol that does nothing for me. What else is there? I

JJ_
on 1/5/12 7:15 am
It depends on what type of problem you are experiencing that requires medication.  If you need something stronger, you need to discuss with your doctor.  Another thought would be to talk to your pharmacist about what is currently available OTC that is not NSAID.

Good luck with your issue.

Judy
poet_kelly
on 1/5/12 7:32 am - OH
Narcotics.  I use Vicodin.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/12 8:12 am
On January 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:
Narcotics.  I use Vicodin.

AmberLee72
on 1/5/12 8:24 am
My partner was in a car accident and she has horrible headaches, numbness and tingling down her arm and horrible neck pain. She has explained to all her doctors that she has had gastric bypass and cannot take nsaids and not even ONE of those doctors will give her vicodin. They said they have "office rules" about narcotics because of all the abuse there is. It makes me FURIOUS. It's 2012 and my poor partner is stuck dealing with the pain. It's inhumane to me actually, for doctors to leave people in pain. I totally understand how much pill abuse there is out there. I think it is a HUGE problem in the US. It's just very unfortunate that the ones like us who never abuse pills have to suffer for others mistakes.

Kelly: You dont have a problem getting them from your doctor??
poet_kelly
on 1/5/12 8:33 am - OH
No.  Now, it's not like I go through that many of them.  I asked my doc to call in  a prescription for me right before Christmas and the last time he had called any in was November 2010.  So one bottle lasted me more than  a year.  I also don't specifically request Vicodin - I just say I need something for pain, something stronger than Tylenol.

I agree, it is horrible that your partner's doctors won't treat her pain.  She needs to find new doctors, ones that understand she can't have NSAIDS and that, you know, actually care about their patients a little.

I get mine from my orthopedic doc, who I see for a bad back.  Only I hardly ever actually see him because apparently all he can do for me is prescribe narcotics.  So he is willing to just call them in for me.  But I believe my PCP would prescribe them, too, if I asked her.  All my docs seem to understand that I can't take NSAIDS and they seem to care about my pain.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/12 8:46 am - OH
I also regularly take Vicodin for the pain in my knees (one needs replaced but I am too chicken to do it yet).  My PCP prescribes it, but, ironically, my orthopedic surgeon will not (if it is bad enough that I need the vicodin, it is bad enough that I should have the surgery... even though he doesn't want to do surgery until I turn 50 (which is later this year)!). I was also taking it, at a higher dose, this spring and summer when I was having the mysterious belly pain and having trouble getting anyone to do surgery.  I have never had a problem getting him to provide refills, but he also knows that I am concerned about taking them long term and is confident that I am not abusing them. He does have some patients that he is VERY reluctant to prescribe narcotics for... You know, the people who somehow manage to "lose" a half bottle of Vicodin while traveling but do NOT lose the blood pressure meds or cholesterol meds that they take daily...

I do know, though, that many states are attempting different measures to try to crack down on people who "doctor shop" and on the "pain clinics" that are nothing more than prescription mills.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mandy R.
on 1/5/12 9:56 am - Callahan, FL
she should ask them to refer her to a pain clinic

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

T. Deeds
on 1/5/12 10:49 pm
I'm having trouble getting pain medication too.  I have very bad cramps (the pain is so bad that it has *literally* made me vomit) and the doctor wants me to use a heating pad and get some homeopathic topical spray from Whole Foods Market.  I understand that they don't want to hand out narcotics willy-nilly, but come on!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/12 8:54 am - OH
There really IS nothing OTC that we can take other than Tylenol (since aspirin also carries a risk of ulcers), so we are limited to prescription meds.  There are, however, things like Tramadol (Ultram) that are not opiates but are stronger pain killers than the OTC NSAIDs. The difference, though, is that they are only painkillers... they do not have anti-inflammatory properties, so for things like arthritis they are honestly not as effective as Aleve, etc. or prescription NSAIDs like Celebrex.

I seriously underestimated the impact of not being able to take NSAIDs (and overestimated how much my knees would improve... they still hurt just as much as they did before I lost the weight... the pain is just different since the arthritis has gotten worse but the pressure on the knees is much less).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics