Mustang Mama and any other band revisions.....

graceinpas
on 1/19/12 4:06 pm
 I thought my surgery went great the first day (what fabulous drugs those must have been-please note I posted on day one HA) I felt really amazingly good.  It has slowly gone the opposite direction for me.  

I had a big hernia repaired at the same time, my stomach was thick and had to be moved around a lot, and he cleaned up some of my 3 c-sections scarring...

So here I sit at home, aching, nauseous, antsy, maybe a tad depressed to not be one of the people who pop up after surgery and start going about life 7 days out.

How are you guys doing?  Help me get through this depressing uncomfortable time, share what you are experiencing or if you had this and it went away.

I have lost 11 pounds since the surgery so that is POSITIVE.

PS my husband and I are coming on the cruise.  Are any of you?  My husband has been a freaking saint through all of  this!!!!!

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
justthe3ofus
on 1/19/12 5:05 pm - Northwest, IN
 I did not have a revision but thought I would chime in anyway and let you know you aren't alone. The first 2 weeks for me were absolutely miserable. I also had a large hernia repaired and had some scar tissue. The second week I developed severe pain in the lower abdomen from supposed nerve healing. At that point I was a little depressed and wondered what the hell I had done. i've had quite a few surgeries and I guess I wasn't expecting this one to be so miserable, lol. I too was very discouraged when I read everyone else's posts about how great they were doing. Just goes to show you that everyone's journey is different.

The nausea does get better. I found it was worse if I wasn't drinking enough. I did start to feel much better by week 3 and now I feel great. I've got so much energy I can't sleep at night!

Hang in there! It does get better. Find the positive and stick with it.
Kim B.

HW 295/ SW 281/ CW 209.6/ GW 155
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. - Eleanor Roosevelt

mustangmama
on 1/19/12 10:00 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I too had wonderful pain meds while in the hospital...I was walking 20 laps around the nursing stations every few hours and though I was in pain afterwards, a push of the button made it all better.

Then I got home!

I could barely move...even on pain medication.  I was nauseated, unable to eat, constipated, unable to stand straight, pains in my back (kidney area), stomach...everything hurt!  I felt like an old lady getting in and out of bed...up and down from the couch...shuffling to the bathroom only to sit there an hour because it was too painful to get up.  I didn't feel like eating, but made myself drink and take in some protein though it wasn't even close to 60g those first two weeks.  

I have never felt this much pain from any of my surgical experiences.  Also, I'd cry at the drop of a pin...over anything...a commercial...my daughter helping me...my doctor's tone of voice...

6-days post op, I saw my doctor and he said I had an infection, so I was prescribed an antibiotic and more pain medicine!  He explained to me the severe pain was because he had to dig deeper and cut more than usual to remove my band and scar tissues.  

There were a few days I began having serious regrets...especially when I saw how quickly others were losing and I was standing still at my starting weight of 186.  Thought I'd be that 1 patient that it wouldn't work for.

Today I'm 2 weeks 4days post op and I'm feeling so much better than I did just a few days ago.  I took pain medicine last night, but ran errands yesterday without any.  I'm over the crying stage, eating well, getting my water and protein amounts, and starting to see the scale move, at last...down from 186 to 181.  

I am feeling like I've made the right decision and am looking forward to even better days.  All but one incision still hurts to touch, but that one doesn't hurt as bad as it did earlier in the week.

All-in-all, it's getting way better, so hang in there...you'll see brighter days too.

Let us know how you're doing...

Mary B.
on 1/20/12 12:16 am - Southern, MD
My revision surgery was awful.

When I got my band, I was up and walking laps the same day and didnt have much problem. The ride home wasnt the greatest (over an hour) I think I got a little motion sick. Home wasnt too bad and I was alone most of the time.

Revison...not so much. I had my surgery early in the day. Never got up once out of bed the entire first day. I got yelled at alot for not hitting my pain button, but I'd hit it and pass out for 45 mins. I didnt really have any visitors, so no one woke me up to tell me to hit it. I would try to get out of bed to walk and just couldnt make it.

They tried to take me downstairs to have my tests done. I made it in the wheelchair, but couldnt stand up straight for the tests. They sent me back to my room. I tired to tell them to just do it, but they were affraid I was going to pass out. I did make it down for the tests later in the day.

I couldnt walk far at all and just getting to the bathroom was a full workout!

I had a week and a half off work. Stayed on the couch most of the time and had an entire ritual of how to get up and down. Luckily when I got back to work, I have a job where I sit behind a desk, but it was still rough. I could have used about 3 weeks.

Just know you arent alone. It was no walk in the park!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

graceinpas
on 1/20/12 5:29 am
Thank you so much for these responses.  I am reading them as I am in bed trying to shake this awful nausea.  

It really helps me feel like it's just not me who has had this.

Thank you!!!!!! 

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
Cleopatra_Nik
on 1/20/12 5:32 am - Baltimore, MD
I'm not a revision but I just wanted to give you some encouragement.

I was all messed up after surgery. Had to walk with a walker, could barely move, bend, anything. I was not one of those who did laps around the hospital after surgery!

Take it one day at a time. One day at a time...
graceinpas
on 1/20/12 5:39 am
 Thank you for all of your responses.  I am reading them lying in my bad trying to kick a terrible bout of nausea.

It gives me hope and makes me feel like I am not the only one who has had this.

Thank you so much!!!!!