Help! Stricture???

danvet
on 1/22/12 10:39 am
 So I'm about 7 weeks out now and am on the soft to regular foods.  Over the last 2 weeks I've noticed that some foods I have no problems with it passing through my system, others don't sit well but go down.  I had been able to take fluids just fine.

I have gotten food stuck before and it's painful, that I got!!  So today I had a little bit of raw cauliflower (yes, stupid in hindsight) which I did chew up very well to mush.  It came back up after a couple of hours but there wasn't any pain at all.  So I know my best bet is to return to fluids.  Well, not even my protein shake is staying down.

If I take a sip, it's on it's way back up within 20 minutes.  

Do strictures hurt?  I have no pain.  I talked to the surgeon last week and he was concerned at that time I was getting a stricture, but I convinced him for another week thinking it was just nausea.  I plan to call him in the morning.  I'm concerned about dehydration.

I kind of wonder if a piece of califlower got stuck in there like a cap in a drain?  But shouldn't that have come up and wouldn't it hurt?  I could just kick myself right now.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!  
april89love
on 1/22/12 11:52 am - NC
Call your doc in the am. You need to be seen.
pandavenise
on 1/22/12 2:29 pm
 I had 3 strictures and was hospitalized 5 times. They didn't hurt I just had a lot of nausa and then I got to the  pooint where i couldn't stop vomiting. My first one started at about 7 weeks also. They looked with a scope and i also had a ulcer a coupleof times. I wasn't taking my anti acid medcine right. I would gets the the doctor as soon as possible it is nothing to mess around with. You can cause your kidneys Stop shut down and dehydrate and other things. I ended up with a pick line and on tpn for a few weeks. So  call your doc asap and let us know how you are 

flyingwoman
on 1/22/12 8:17 pm
People very frequently have trouble at the stage that you are. The stoma will be relatively small because you are still in the last stages of healing, but are now on solids and this creates a situation where they are highly susceptible to procedural eating problems at this time (not chewing enough, taking too much in at once, taking too much in altogether).

I would say that if your normal state is that you can take liquids happily, and you have good days where you can also eat happily that you do not have a stricture.

It sounds to me that you are well and truly stuck. It is possible to get stuck for a loooong time (like, all day. I've even heard of it overnight).
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 431 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 364 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 364 views