Medically smart people's opinions please

Lisa R.
on 1/26/12 9:43 am - CA
  Ok, I have had a CBC done a few times since surgery.  My counts are always low.   My white blood count, today, is really low.  Low is 4 and mine is 2.  The doctor's office called and said they are concerned want me to retest on monday, some kind of other test.   My monocites (spelling) are coming back high. I have had high SED rates in the past and swollen knees pain in joints.     Could I have an auto immune disease?   Who do you raise your WBC and what could be the possibles causes for it to be low?   I know we are not doctors, but if you know anything I would love to hear some ideas.   Thanks

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/26/12 9:57 am - OH
 I don't know a whole lot, but here is what I do know about Leukopenia:  It can be caused by chronic low level infection, by bone marrow issues (which can be a result of autoimmune disorders or things like cancer), or by an over active thyroid.

Other than treating the cause of the low WBC count, I don't know how to increase it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

KatCooper
on 1/26/12 10:54 am - Collierville, TN
 There is nothing you can do to raise your white blood cell (wbc) count.  There are many reasons your wbc's could be low, to many to list here. With your sed rate high and the swelling in the joints it could be autoimmune.  I encourage you to not do to much googling and just let them to a complete work up.  They may refer you to a hematologist or a rheumatologist or both.  I know this may not be much help and I am sorry for that, but it is really easy to borrow trouble when you are being worked up for an issue.   If have had patients in the past that simply ran low.  Unfortunately, we have to run many test to confirm that is the case  I wish you the best of luck and if they are not working fast enough, request to see a hematologist.
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Sharyn S.
on 1/26/12 11:21 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Neupogen or Neulasta injections are colony stimulating factors and promote WBC production in the bone marrow.  They are given to patients undergoing chemotherapy.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

rbb825
on 1/28/12 5:56 pm - Suffern, NY
when white counts are as  low as her's, you can raise it with an injection called Neupogen.  Mine WBC is in the low 3;s and my hematologist said it isn't low enough for the injection or a bone marrow biopsy. We jus****ch it.

christine G.
on 1/26/12 1:43 pm
Like an above poster mentioned, there are numerous causes for the decrease in WBC and your best bet is to wait for additional tests to be performed.  for now do everything you can to remain as healthy as possible- most importantly frequent, proper handwashing.  With low WBC you do not want to get sick.  Update us when you can =)

Christine

Breast Lift/Brachioplasty January 18, 2011
Lower Body Lift March 3, 2011
Inner Thigh Lipo/Lift May 4, 2011 

Alana_says_hi
on 1/26/12 3:19 pm
RNY on 01/18/12

there are sevral reasons for labs to be off. medications even over the counter can effect labs. we recheck because often times too small of a needle or issues with the spec. could make the tests off a little. also we recheck to see if there is a change for the better or worse in a short time. Try not to freak out until talking to the Doc. The internet is great for resurch but also for freaking us out you cant tell the computer all your symptoms espically the little ones you may not see your self. Make sure you talk to your family to see if you have any disorders in your family which mimic your symptoms it will help your Doc. Any arthritis ? Also our diet can really effect or bodys espically if your lacking certan vit or minerals even not enough fluids can effect labs. My advise would be make a list of symptoms, family history, food log and questions with you to see your doc and follow up when they ask you to.  Hope all goes well keep us posted :)

Alana :)
Sunnygurl
on 1/26/12 9:55 pm - VA
RNY on 02/28/12
Lisa, Take care and keep us posted.. i'm praying for you.. 

CarolBeth
on 1/27/12 2:26 am - SoCal, CA
My white blood count is low as well.  I just saw my doctor yesterday.  She says it's typical for WBC to drop some after bariatric surgery, but not as low as mine.  I've had chemotherapy twice and wondered if it was something to do with that.  I'm waiting for word on what to do next from my oncologist and bariatric doc. It can be lots of things or absolutely nothing.  Waiting is killer, isn't it?
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

rbb825
on 1/28/12 5:45 pm - Suffern, NY
it is very common for white cells to drop after chemo -you will probably need an injection called Neupogen to help increase your WBC - it stimulates your bone marrow to produce more

I have never heard of bariatric surgery lowering a WBC - that actually makes no sense,  A low white count is due to an overwhelming infection, lack of function of the bone marrow or other autoimmune disorders

I have a low White count but we aren't sure why yet, my hematologist saidi t isn't low enough to need a bone marrow test yet - it is ususally in the low 3's - went o 2.7 when I was in the hospital and septic

Most Active
Recent Topics