colitis or hernia....

Aydenzmoma
on 1/26/12 2:43 am - ME
RNY on 01/04/12
 Well, I have been having abdominal pain for the past 2 weeks and really bad diarrah.  The pain is in one spot.  I went to see the surgeon and now I have to get a CAT scan with barrium to see if it is colitis or a insicional hernia.  Does anyone know what colitis is??  

Katy~~
It's never too late to figure out your purpose and start to live your best life."
    Goodbye 280's, 270's, 260's,250's,240's,230's,220s,210s,200s,190s,180s,170s,                    
HW 283/ SW 269/ CW 160/ GW 120

lilbear412
on 1/26/12 2:49 am - MN
 i had a bout of colitis from some medicine they gave me in the hospital after i started hemorraging after my 2nd baby ... and i tell you what.  I DREADED going to the bathroom each morning as it would put me to my knees.  Colitis is an infection in your colon.  It was the worst thing i have ever went through.  I couldn't have waiting for 2 weeks and in fact it took 9 out of 10 days of medicine for it to be resolved.  I was constantly on the phone calling the doctor as it wasn't clearing up.  Hope all is OK for you and good luck.  Keep us updated..

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

livn4me
on 1/26/12 3:46 am
two weeks after my surg march 2011 i started having pain and yellowish loose stools that had a funny smell almost like a baby's poo.. after tests were run i was told i had colitis....i know its disgusting but true the pain got so bad i really could not focus on recovery let alone fluid intake eventually i was hospitalized  because of dehydration and soon a pic-line for nutrition for a whole month i was pumped full of 1100 calories daily not to mention expected to have 64 additional oz of fluids and eat protein by mouth...hardest thing i ever did in my life never thought i would have to make myself EAT! it was horrible i was so sick to my stomach just the thoughts of water and i wanted to toss my cookies but i had to eat and drink or they wouldn't take me off the line! now i cannot take antibiotics because they messed the "good" bacteria in ur intestines so i try hard to stay away from anyone who is sick...which is nearly impossible but i try! GOOD LUCK! PUSH YOUR FLUIDS!
nfarris79
on 1/26/12 5:39 am - Germantown, MD
 You're not having mucus or blood in the diarrhea, right? Those would be signs of Ulcerative Colitis, which is an autoimmune disorder - Inflammatory Bowel Disease - and is chronic condition, not just one that's treated with a quick surgery or round of antibiotics.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Aydenzmoma
on 1/26/12 7:28 am - ME
RNY on 01/04/12
 No mucus or blood, but yellowish water.  So bad that I have pooed myself on a few occasions, even in my sleep as of last night.  (I hate to admit).  I had my CAT scan earlier today and the barium made me go.  It is endless.  Hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow. 

Katy~~
It's never too late to figure out your purpose and start to live your best life."

rbb825
on 1/28/12 6:18 pm - Suffern, NY
unfortunatly what you are decribing, I doubt a ct can diagnose.  A hernia can't be seen on CT 80% of the time since when we lie down for the test, the bulging goes back into place and can't be seen. I have a huge hernia and it didnt' show up on numerous CT scans but you can see it and feel it.

As far as colitis goes, you can't see that on a CT either, it is an inflammation of the colon and in severe cases it gets infected.  You need a colonoscopy to check for that.

It is possible that early out since you are on soft foods or liquids, it is very common to have diarhea.  IT is also possible that you are lactose intolerant or have celiac disease.

Do you injest dairy products?  Whey protein has dairy in it and many get diarhea from protein shakes as well.    what about alot of artificial sweetners?  Many get diarhea from them.

Have you been on antibiotics lately?  You might need a stool test for C difficile - that is an infection of the colon that causes severe diarhea and needs to be treated with flagyl.

good luck and you might want to see a gastroentologist

Aydenzmoma
on 1/29/12 1:42 am - ME
RNY on 01/04/12
 Well, supposively the CT was clear.  When I Take the percocet, I do get bound up and the diarrhrea stops.  But if I take dulcolax it comes back.  I haven't drank dairy since the first wk.  So I am thinking it might be sweetners or just the pureeds.  

Katy~~

rbb825
on 1/29/12 12:59 pm - Suffern, NY
I am glad that the CT scan was normal but we can have tons of complications that dont' show up on CT scan - most don't show up.

IT is normal to get constipated on narcotics but ti doesnt' work for me. I wear a Fentanyl patch (duragesic), take percocet and dilaudid daily and still have diarhea.  IF you have something wrong causing diarhea, the narcotics won't stop it.

I am really confused - you say if you take dulcolax it comes back - that is what it is supposed to do = it is a laxitive.  Why are you taking dulcolax if you are having a problem with diarhea?  If you get bound up from the narcotics, dont' take a laxitive unless it is really bad and other things don't work.  You want to use a stool softener and Miralax - a natural laxative that works different just by keeping your normal - not inducing diarhea.  Many people also take Magnesium Oxide to soften there stools.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 358 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 440 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views