Chickened out of buying pants..I have problems.

jamiemariep
on 1/27/12 7:20 am
Ok, so I'm a therapist and I'm the first person to admit when I'm being irrational or just plain crazy. But today I blew my own mind.

So, a bit ago I posted about taking forever to change clothing sizes. In the past few days all of my pants have become enormous..like my underwear is hanging out and they're now dragging on the floor because I can barely keep them up. SO I went to Savers (thrift store) today. I tried on 2 pairs of dress pants that were 3 sizes smaller than the size I currently own. They fit. Well. 

I did not purchase them.

Why? Because I'm a lunatic. My first thought was that there must be something wrong with the pants because there's no way I can fit into that size. Then as I was walking to the register I just got freaked out and put them back on the rack. 

I guess I should probably go back and buy some considering my kid accidentally pulled my pants down just now by pulling on my pant leg.

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

Donna D.
on 1/27/12 7:31 am - Cockeysville, MD
LOL this is way to funny! It is hard adjusting to the new us! My family says you are getting small, but I say "I guess" I really just don't see it yet! Yes go back and get the pants!

HW:338  SW:316 CW:203 GW:190 MY HT IS 5"11"

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/27/12 7:33 am - OH
As a fellow therapist, I can tell you that when these weird WLS-related brain things happen, it doesn't help much to know how irrational they are (or to know intellectually what is going on), LOL.

Yes, go back and buy the pants.  Don't look at the size if that freaks you out... heck, tell yourself that they are mislabeled if that makes you feel better!  

You will feel even better about your weight loss and it will actually help your brain to adjust to your changing size if you have clothes that fit properly.  Ebery time you wear them and look at the size tag, it will reinformce that you are, indeed, THAT size.  Besides, you don't want to suffer the embarrassment of havng your pants slide down in public!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BWB
on 1/27/12 8:00 am
My DIL solved that problem for me. All she had to say was, "You look thiner when your clothes size is smaller." I happened to go by Goodwill the next day and saw a 1/2 off sign......8 sweaters later and 22.00 less, I have tops that fit. I've never bought anything at GW before but someone, maybe a WLS person, has the same taste as I.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/27/12 8:06 am
Ah, yes, the head trips we send ourselves on. I have been wearing the same couple of pairs of pants and just thought the thighs were a little roomy. Yesterday my ever-honest coworker told me that every time I wear pants she wants to tell me to get some smaller ones.

I am a 16 now. I haven't worn a 16 in at least 15 years, and I keep getting hung up on the fact that the last time I wore a 16 I weighed 200 pounds and now I weigh 230, so how can that be possible?

I'm going to have to break down and buy the pants.
Gypsyw0lf
on 1/27/12 8:08 am - Regina, Canada
 I can just imagine your surprise at the size, especially 3 sizes  That is so awesome!

I'm currently mourning my clothing I'm shrinking out of.  I wore this cute lil blue jean skirt today that probably gapped about 3 inches on each side of my waist and by the end of the day was only staying up because it clung a bit to the cotton in my panties.  

I love that skirt...I bought it before I started my 6 month pre-surgery program.  Actually this year I have bought so many new clothes, because I actually had the finances too, so all my pretty things are getting to big, which is wonderful but I know I can't go out and spend a bunch of money on new pretty things LOL 

Such a conundrum!  I'll take it..

Go get the pants and you will love it everytime you slide them over your hips.  Even when they become ginormous like the ones you slipped out of today!

Gypsy

happy_baker
on 1/27/12 8:23 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 Take it to a tailor, girl. :)  No reason to kiss it goodbye just yet.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Mia H.
on 1/27/12 8:18 am - OH
 I did that today.  I needed a sweatshirt for the gym.  I grabbed the 2X and it was big, you can tell looking at it.  I grabbed the XL and just kept on putting it back and grabbing the 2X.  I did it about 6 times and just didn't get them.  I didn't want the big one, but I was doubting myself if I actually would fit the XL.  I have more time tomorrow to go back and actually try it on. LOL

lilbear412
on 1/27/12 9:44 am - MN
 Excuse my language but i have had a helluva time with clothes. One i don't know how to shop..2, i go to the store and am so scare that i will be wearing a 20 that i don't want to try.  So i went and got two pairs of jeans.  One was an 18 and 1 was a 16.  I went into the womens dressing room and tried on the 18 (cause i was sure the 16 wouldn't fit me.) and the 18 was kind of small but fit so there was no way i was going to try the 16 on but i did..and it fit me like a glove.  I have never been in a pair of jeans so comfortable.  Different brand jeans, different sizes, you just gotta try on  things and assume they MIGHT fit even if the tag says something different. ha!  Another thing is i want to get shirts but i am sooo used to wearing baggy shirts that i can't imagine actually having a form fitting shirt.  But lo and behold, i did find some clothes and they are 2 sizes smaller (and getting bigger on me) and they aren't so baggy.  Its fun to shop but mind blowing all at the same time.  For summer i will hit Goodwill because i do not own ONE shirt that is short sleeve right now.  i can't wait until that time.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

nfarris79
on 1/27/12 10:10 am - Germantown, MD
 Sounds a bit like fear of something good. (sorry if this is off base, but you know.... hazards of the trade, trying to therapize EVERYONE at times)
Grab that fear by the horns and tell it to shut up! You deserve those pants that are 3 sizes smaller - you did a lot to get here! Embrace the fact that you are a smaller size(s) and no, they are not mislabeled, and no, people are not going to mock you for trying on a size. You ARE that small!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 303 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views