Struggling to eat--just a phase?

Bellarella
on 1/27/12 5:03 am
This is my first post but I've been learning so much from reading all the posts and listening to the veterans. So, first of all, THANK YOU!!!

I'm 5 weeks out from RNY. Everything has gone well with no complications. My problem is that I'm really struggling to eat. Instead of getting easier it seems to get harder each day. Nothing appeals to me and I'm getting so tired of the protein shakes. Foods I liked before are appalling to me now and I can't stand to watch others eat. I'm trying to focus on all the wonderful results of weight loss and getting healthier, but I find myself wallowing and dreading mealtime.

Can those of you further out share your experiences through the early weeks of diet transitions? Reassure the newbies like me that it will get easier? 
Paul C.
on 1/27/12 5:21 am - Cumming, GA
They operated on your guts not your brain.

Getting over the fear of food can be difficult but it is one you need to do.  With effort you can and will be able to return to more "normal" eating not OUR Normal preop but normal healthy eating.  I still struggle to eat and am often disintrested in what I eat.  I need fuel for my body so I eat for me it works.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/27/12 5:37 am
I went thru some of that too. I found that it was helpful to increase my water intake--and by water I mean any noncaloric, noncaffeinated beverage that is water based. So herbal tea and crystal light were in heavy rotation.

Keep trying. You will get over this hurdle.

I have to have something first thing in the morning. The longer I wait the stronger the aversion to eating gets. And Paul is right on the money. You need to fuel your body for optimum performance.

Don't be afraid to try new protein sources, even if you didn't like them before surgery. You may like them now.
ShebasMom
on 1/27/12 6:40 am
Revision on 07/05/16
Surgery to our GI system can make one not interested in food. It usually passes with time. Now you are going through the "eating to live" stage.(Pre-op, we were in the "live to eat" stage)
I went through stages of where I ate the same thing for weeks, then move on to something else for weeks. By the time I was over 3 months out, I was able to vary my foods more.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?