5 Days out and sick of liquids

slashes
on 1/28/12 1:15 am
Hi All - This is my first post here. I had my surgery on Monday the 23rd and so far so good. The only issue I am having is being sick of the liquid. The thought of cream soups, broths, protein shakes, cream of wheat, cream of rice etc... make me ill and so does most everything else. I am forcing down my protein shakes, but they take me forever to drink.
I am not looking to cheat or anything - just having a hard time and getting in a funk. I cannot wait until Wednesday when I can step up to pureed foods and have some variety of tastes.

How did everyone get through this?

Bettisima
on 1/28/12 2:06 am
While I also had liquid only for the first 10 days post op, it didn't include things like cream soups. Just protein shakes, and no calorie beverages.

I got through it, because I knew it was temporary. And frankly, I didn't care a bit about food. I did some counseling, and identified I was mourning the loss of my friend, food. I wanted to recapture memories I had around food.

When I did move to the soft stuff, they were the best tasting refried beans I had ever eaten. But I still got 90% of my protein from shakes for the first 8 weeks.

You will get through this stage and it will be something you only remember when someone else posts a similar question.

Hang in there!
Oh.My.Lanta
on 1/28/12 2:56 am
I am also currently going through this. I had surgery on the 24th and am finding it hard to do any liquids. It all kinda makes me sick. But I push through. Cannot wait until mashed potatoes! I am wondering though if anyone is still having pain more than 5 days out? I still have a lot of pain when I try to lay on my side or trying to get up from sitting position. I have found as for clear liquid crystal light and sipping clear protein through a straw with the crystal light as a chaser really helps.
kidnamedtoad
on 1/28/12 10:33 am
The first two-four weeks are the hardest!  You can call your nutritionist for ideas.  When I got to week 3 they said I could puree fruit into my shakes but I never did. I was never a soft food person.  I never liked shakes, yogurt, etc. But....keep yourself busy and take it one day at a time.  It will get better.  I have learned to choke through the shakes because its the easiest way to get enough protein in a day without having to eat too much.  You don't want to pu**** and eat anything that will damage your stomach or you'll be in this phase even longer.  Good Luck!  You can do it!
Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
Most Active
Recent Topics