Post op food question

DannyBoyDVG
on 2/3/12 8:09 am - AR
 After that 2 week mark when u can start eating food again is it going to be just simple things like mashed potatoes, yogurt, oatmeal, cottage cheese, things of that nature or will I be able to eat things like grilled chicken and fish (my 2 fav meats)? And if you can't eat solids at 2 weeks how far in are they able to be worke back into your diet?

april89love
on 2/3/12 8:13 am - NC
It all depends on your doctors plan.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Bettisima
on 2/3/12 8:19 am
Each surgeon has different plans.

I was liquids until day 10. Then a small selection of foods until week 3, that included cottage cheese, refried beans, yogurt, pudding. My surgeon never suggested oatmeal or potatoes. I also continued to drink protein shakes during this period.

Week 3-6 was soft foods. Anything fork tender fish, crock pot meat, or mashed/pureed.

Week 6 onward was anything I could tolerate. Focus on 75% protein 25% fruit or veg.
BWB
on 2/3/12 8:20 am
 Your incisions in your pouch will not be healed for four to six weeks.  That isn't too long to wait for more dense food.  You might have problems if food gets caught, or the opening from your pouch into your intestine can get irritated and scar tissue can form so that is a good reason not to start on solid food too early.  When you start pureeing your meals you can add some baked fish with lite mayo or a little cream soup to make it creamy.  Several of us have a problem with chicken,  I can just eat a very small amount or else i will dump.  I kept cream of asparagus soup as a base for meat...I didn't know that it was so good.

poet_kelly
on 2/3/12 8:44 am - OH
what does your doc's meal plan advise? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kittehkitteh27
on 2/3/12 10:49 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
You really should receive this information from your surgeon.  They seem to all have slightly different recommendations.

I was on liquids for 2 weeks post-op and just started purees/soft foods.

Yogurt counted as a full liquid for me.

I would say don't do oatmeal unless you are adding protein powder.. protein is your priority.

And DO NOT eat mashed potatoes.. nothing but carbs there. It may or may not make you sick but it definitely won't do you any favors.

There are some basic guidelines on this site. For me its on the right hand side of the page: "Life After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass"

But ultimately, your surgeon should provide you with this information.

Hope this helps.

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 349 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 305 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?