Warning: poop question!

Cecilia W.
on 2/10/12 3:25 am - Northport, AL
RNY on 02/06/12
Hey all! Hope everyone is having a great Friday!!

Got a quick question. I had surgery on Monday, and was wondering when I would start to poop again?

I have only been taking in protein shakes, water, broth, and a little apple sauce. I am cleared for soft foods, but my tummy still feels very iffy, so I don't want to try it just yet. Should I start taking some Miralax with my water now?

Thanks y'all for your help!

Ceci

poet_kelly
on 2/10/12 3:31 am - OH
I would start the Miralax, yeah.  Since you've been getting virtually no fiber, that's gonna really slow things down.  Plus you're not taking in much, so there will be less to come out.  Still, your body is making some solid waste products so there is going to be some poop in there.  I would start the Miralax before you end up feeling really constipated - I find it works best to prevent problems rather than solve them when they occur.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cecilia W.
on 2/10/12 3:33 am - Northport, AL
RNY on 02/06/12
Thank you so much, Kelly!  You are so awesome! I will start today.

nkara
on 2/10/12 3:34 am
 I didn't go until I was about a week out.   I went about once a week for a few weeks and then when I could start to eat mushies I started adding beans/refried to my diet and then finally black beans after I could eat and that helped me a lot.  The doctor also recommended Miralax 1 TBL only at a time.  I only had to use it twice so far.   As long as your not feeling constipated I wouldn't worry too much yet.  Concentrate on healing. 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Blosom62
on 2/10/12 8:22 pm - United Kingdom

Morning all, I am now 14 days out, I went to number 2's after 7 days, and have done so every day since. I felt like moving about helped me, as I was in so much pain with the GAS as well. Oh my poor Husband. Keep Moving and see what moves! have a good one, (excuse the pun)  Karen x

Most Active
Recent Topics